Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of restoring my 318. I have seen people put a differential from a 420/430 in a 318. just wondering what it entails? Do i just need the differential and linkage?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Basically-yes. There is a few writeups as to how to make it work. Bolting the diff in isn't bad. Seals should be replaced while doing it. Need to cut two holes in the frame and the fender deck and the diff lock needs to be bent some and the shifter needs to be cut shorter a little. Brother and I just welded the linkage braces in place. Worked 3 times so far and I can still remove the rear-end with linkage installed. 330 and two 332's have them. There is someone in Rogers MN that sells them and is a member on here that posts in the farsale ads once in a while.

·
Registered
352 Posts
[URL="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected][/URL]

Bob Colebank's E-mail address. He gets to Iowa on a regular basis and has several in stock.

Take your time on the install and make sure you get the holes in the frame correct. If linkage binds on either the shift selector or the posi-lock, it makes for a disappointing result.

My 318 will be getting this mod this spring after the threat of snow is over.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I have done it on 2 different machines.Both a 332 I used to own and my current 322.Straight forward modification.Some cutting and drilling necessary as well as shortening the 2 speed rod by about an inch.
Best way is to bolt up the rear end and hydro etc like it was the old one.Then you can set the rods into place and tell where to cut the holes in the frames as well as where to drill the holes for the bolts for the supports for the rods.
Very worthwhile upgrade.I highly recommend it.
That and an H3 was all that kept these 300 machines from being perfect.
I bought my second one from Bob if I remember right.
Use the search function up top there have been a couple documented before.
Need help?Just ask there are folks here to walk you through any problems you might encounter.
Good luck.

AJ

·
Registered
4,992 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ryan,
I have converted both of my 322s to the 400 style differentials and have drawings showing the size and location of the holes. If you could use this information, let me know and I can email them to you.
Colin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ryan,
I have converted both of my 322s to the 400 style differentials and have drawings showing the size and location of the holes. If you could use this information, let me know and I can email them to you.
Colin
My 322 already has the 2 pedal diff lock.. Is there another reason to change ?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
2 pedal diff lock? Are you thinking of the brakes?
Also this is an 8yr old thread

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes I am.. Call it a brain freeze or a senior moment.. or whatever.. It doesn't matter whether it's a n 8 year old thread cause I'm wrong no matter what year it is... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I think we all have the brain fart moments.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
they removed my post, damn
wonder if i still have the pics of it
i have a 420 that i measured from to do it on a 332

1 - 13 of 13 Posts