Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
From what I remember now the main trick was the alignment of shaft. I bolted mine to the new engine and guided to the universal slowly and carefully as not to hit the fins on the hydro cooler. I used some cardboard on the sides to protect it. Other than that it should be straight forward!
Cheers!

·
Registered
JD 1986 318
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
From what I remember now the main trick was the alignment of shaft. I bolted mine to the new engine and guided to the universal slowly and carefully as not to hit the fins on the hydro cooler. I used some cardboard on the sides to protect it. Other than that it should be straight forward!
Cheers!
Thank You sir, I am looking forward to it

·
Registered
309 Posts
You have a lot of information on your solenoid question so I won't spend much time on this item. The solenoid is nothing more in function than a heavy duty relay (or a switch within a switch made to protect other things like your ignition switch) and you'll find quite a few different off-the-shelf choices that can be used, including a B & S unit with a clamp that allows you to attach it to the starter. You can use any good inline unit that can be mounted anywhere - just make sure you're aware of how to connect it to the engine/frame ground (some have a separate ground connection while some use the mount as the ground point so you'd need to make sure that the ground point does have a good electrical connection.

There are some larger issues that need attention before you install the Briggs Vanguard and these are:

1. Oil Filter. The vanguard oil filter adapter points the filter down at an angle - this mounting causes the filter to hit the frame when you try to install the engine. Several different solutions are available, one is to have a custom adapter made to point the filter straight out as it is on the Onan. SEW engine replacement kits do it this way. Another way is to make the necessary custom engine mounting adapter tall enough to avoid the frame/filter contact. This way will give you a larger U-joint angle on the driveshaft and may force you into a different length mower belt. The third choice is to use an oil filter relocation kit such as the ones offered by DeRale. This allows you to move the oil filter anywhere you have the room to mount it and to make the engine mounting adapter the right height to accomodate the proper U-joint angles and mower belt size.
2. Driveshaft adapter: Again there are a couple of ways to approach this. The cheapest for me was to get a custom machined aluminum adapter that was the right length so the driveshaft didn't nee d to be modified. Other approaches I looked at used Briggs adapters that are very costly and with this you need to modify the drive shaft both in length and U-joint.
3. Engine mounting adapter to allow you to have the engine at the right height
4. Muffler and associated heat shield - SEW has a muffler that works well (they use it with their kits)
5. Clutch adapter: There are quite a few ways to do this, including using the Onan PTO clutch/brake assembly. If you search my posts, you'll find a write-up I posted on these options, have a look at it, it could save you a bunch of headaches.

There are a number of other things that you'll run into, none of them insurmountable but will give you a bit of a challenge like hooking up the choke and throttle cables etc. All these have been addressed and write-ups and/or advise for the "how to" are available on this site.

Once installed the Vanguard works great.
Good morning all, I have decided to replace my Onan B43G with a Briggs Vanguard 23hp...Is there any body that has some good tips on install?...looks pretty straight forward...1 question though, do I need to reuse the starter solenoid from B engine?...guess I can sell the Onan, it still runs...Thanks in advance

·
Registered
JD 1986 318
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You have a lot of information on your solenoid question so I won't spend much time on this item. The solenoid is nothing more in function than a heavy duty relay (or a switch within a switch made to protect other things like your ignition switch) and you'll find quite a few different off-the-shelf choices that can be used, including a B & S unit with a clamp that allows you to attach it to the starter. You can use any good inline unit that can be mounted anywhere - just make sure you're aware of how to connect it to the engine/frame ground (some have a separate ground connection while some use the mount as the ground point so you'd need to make sure that the ground point does have a good electrical connection.

There are some larger issues that need attention before you install the Briggs Vanguard and these are:

1. Oil Filter. The vanguard oil filter adapter points the filter down at an angle - this mounting causes the filter to hit the frame when you try to install the engine. Several different solutions are available, one is to have a custom adapter made to point the filter straight out as it is on the Onan. SEW engine replacement kits do it this way. Another way is to make the necessary custom engine mounting adapter tall enough to avoid the frame/filter contact. This way will give you a larger U-joint angle on the driveshaft and may force you into a different length mower belt. The third choice is to use an oil filter relocation kit such as the ones offered by DeRale. This allows you to move the oil filter anywhere you have the room to mount it and to make the engine mounting adapter the right height to accomodate the proper U-joint angles and mower belt size.
2. Driveshaft adapter: Again there are a couple of ways to approach this. The cheapest for me was to get a custom machined aluminum adapter that was the right length so the driveshaft didn't nee d to be modified. Other approaches I looked at used Briggs adapters that are very costly and with this you need to modify the drive shaft both in length and U-joint.
4. Muffler and associated heat shield - SEW has a muffler that works well (they use it with their kits)
5. Clutch adapter: There are quite a few ways to do this, including using the Onan PTO clutch/brake assembly. If you search my posts, you'll find a write-up I posted on these options, have a look at it, it could save you a bunch of headaches.

There are a number of other things that you'll run into, none of them insurmountable but will give you a bit of a challenge like hooking up the choke and throttle cables etc. All these have been addressed and write-ups and/or advise for the "how to" are available on this site.

[/QUOTe

SEW has a kit and i believe all the above has been corrected by them

·
Registered
309 Posts
SEW does have a kit that covers most of the re-engining problems. There are also some others that offer similar kits that I've seen on-line, but if you happen to have access to a Vanguard Twin and want to re-engine your tractor using your own ingenuity, there aren't many places you can buy individual components needed to integrate the new engine into the old tractor. If you plan to buy a new Vanguard for the re-engining and then look after the integration yourself, you're better off buying the whole kit which gives a competitive price, warranty, and proven design on integration adapters.

I've found that SEW will sell some of the individual components even though most of them aren't shown in their on-line catalogue lists. The correct muffler, for example, is in the list and fits perfectly - you just need to make your own heat shield (not a big deal to do). A good fitting PTO clutch adapter was also available but not listed if someone wanted to re-use the 318 clutch from the Onan. I found that having the adapters such as those needed for the driveshaft and oil filter are fairly easy to get made at small machine shops at very reasonable prices - you just need to provide a dimensioned sketch or drawing and you accept all liability.

There are still a few issues that need to be addressed by both the DIY and kit buyers. One is the air flow gasket between the engine and firewall, another is the lack of access to the oil dipstick with the side panel installed, as well as a few others. Either way, the engine works well in this type of tractor when installed properly.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Earlier in the thread the OP said he’s getting a SEW kit when I mentioned them.

Reactions: dwinch53

·
Registered
JD 1986 318
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
SEW does have a kit that covers most of the re-engining problems. There are also some others that offer similar kits that I've seen on-line, but if you happen to have access to a Vanguard Twin and want to re-engine your tractor using your own ingenuity, there aren't many places you can buy individual components needed to integrate the new engine into the old tractor. If you plan to buy a new Vanguard for the re-engining and then look after the integration yourself, you're better off buying the whole kit which gives a competitive price, warranty, and proven design on integration adapters.

I've found that SEW will sell some of the individual components even though most of them aren't shown in their on-line catalogue lists. The correct muffler, for example, is in the list and fits perfectly - you just need to make your own heat shield (not a big deal to do). A good fitting PTO clutch adapter was also available but not listed if someone wanted to re-use the 318 clutch from the Onan. I found that having the adapters such as those needed for the driveshaft and oil filter are fairly easy to get made at small machine shops at very reasonable prices - you just need to provide a dimensioned sketch or drawing and you accept all liability.

There are still a few issues that need to be addressed by both the DIY and kit buyers. One is the air flow gasket between the engine and firewall, another is the lack of access to the oil dipstick with the side panel installed, as well as a few others. Either way, the engine works well in this type of tractor when installed properly.
The dip stick is right in front of air cleaner middle engine...check out their website and pics of engine...https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/356447-JD318-B-R3...Thanks for the input and have a great day...

·
Registered
JD 1986 318
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Has anyone used Jim's tractors for a repower on JD 318...I am trying to compare Jim's to SEW...thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Has anyone used Jim's tractors for a repower on JD 318...I am trying to compare Jim's to SEW...thanks
My JD 400 SEW kit did not have an oil cooler. Not sure about the 318 kit or Jim's kit.

·
Registered
JD 1986 318
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My JD 400 SEW kit did not have an oil cooler. Not sure about the 318 kit or Jim's kit.
Merc, was the install pretty straight forward?...Did you get a belt with the kit and if you did, is it the OEM or different length...Am wondering why they send a new belt...Thanks in advance

·
Registered
JD 1986 318
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Merc, was the install pretty straight forward?...Did you get a belt with the kit and if you did, is it the OEM or different length...Am wondering why they send a new belt...Thanks in advance
I ordered my VanGuard 23 hp this morning from SEW and the salesman knew his stuff...His name is Seth Conlon ([email protected]...I had tons of questions and he had all the right answers...I will keep ya all updated on the install

·
Registered
1989 318
857 Posts
That is very good money for a used P218.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Sold my 1986 Onan motor for $500.00 and waiting for 23hp Vanguard delivery today
Wow! Lucky you. Somebody wanted that engine pretty bad.

Reactions: dwinch53

·
Registered
JD 1986 318
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well the engine arrived today and i went to work on it...I made the firewall smaller to fit the VG 23hp...It all went pretty smooth till i started it up...ran fine, smooth but the stupid replacement throttle is junk...it only moves 1/2 the distance on the dash that the stock throttle did...only goes off idle a bit...tried to adjust several times with no luck...I am thinking about using the new longer cable on the stock 318 lever...I know that a person can bend them tabs but they might break...any suggestions?

·
Registered
JD 1986 318
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well the engine arrived today and i went to work on it...I made the firewall smaller to fit the VG 23hp...It all went pretty smooth till i started it up...ran fine, smooth but the stupid replacement throttle is junk...it only moves 1/2 the distance on the dash that the stock throttle did...only goes off idle a bit...tried to adjust several times with no luck...I am thinking about using the new longer cable on the stock 318 lever...I know that a person can bend them tabs but they might break...any suggestions?
Well this morning I went out to the shop and replaced the cable on my original throttle control and presto it works as intended...It is complete and runs sweet...i just need to put the belly screen, hood, seat pan, grill and side covers and it will be finished...when i have time i will send pictures...All have a great day

·
Registered
162 Posts
It came with new belts, but your PTO is different than my manual one. Call up SEW and sak

21 - 40 of 53 Posts