Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Mike, I think he’s trying to show us the wear in the plate that the tie rod attaches to. Normal wear for a machine that old that probably didn’t get greased as often as it should. I have added a flat bearing to my 214 that had that kind of wear. I wouldn’t be that worried with it, it doesn’t look as bad as mine was.

·
Premium Member
10,098 Posts
Bainbridge,

Have you addressed all the other sources of "slop" or play in the steering? Much of the steering play is often due to the axle stops being out of adjustment or worn, so be sure that is not a factor here...
Font Eyelash Monochrome photography Rectangle Metal

Your kingpin surface does look a bit rough, but not to where it would be a major contributor to steering inaccuracies or slop/play.

Chuck

·
Registered
379 Posts
Or, front axle pivot bolt and/or bushing wear, 1" wheels on 25 mm spindles, etc.
Can you explain the problem in detail and what is worn in your view?

Reactions: drew

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new bushing when slid into position will wobble significantly on the shaft. Between the two bushing locations it is fairly tight like a few thousandths. But it is at least double and predominately on one side. I think what I might do is get a bushing for 7/8" shaft and slowly ream it till it is fitting better. Yes the axel stop is a little loose and part of the slop. This thing was borderline un-controllable when mowing. No straight lines for sure. Sorry about the photo. I thought the wear was visible but I should have used a straight edge. McMaster has the bushings and they are about what I paid for at the dealer.

·
Registered
379 Posts
There's plenty of used replacement spindles, both 25mm & 1", available at reasonable prices on eBay.
I also have a used 25mm one available.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I believe the kingpin diameter is the same for both versions.
The wheel axle / spindle diameter changed from 1" to 25mm in mid 1986 with 318 s/n 372596.
There's lots of threads on the different sized front spindles.

Edit - I may be wrong on the kingpin diameter as charms later advises....

·
Registered
379 Posts
From my 318 Parts Catalog, PC1924, Feb-95:

Handwriting Font Parallel Rectangle Schematic

Font Material property Paper Paper product Document

·
Premium Member
10,098 Posts
Ken,

Thanks -- that listing does show two part numbers for the spindles. (it takes three lines in the listing due to the serial number wrap at 010001 which happened in 1990...) Since the bushings also follow these spindle differences, we can by sure that the kingpin is a different diameter as well.

The drawing shows a distinctly 'necked' kingpin between the bushing areas which is not apparent in the images in the beginning of this thread. On-line pictures of the 1 inch spindle parts show this area necked down, later spindles do not show it...

early:
Wood Symbol Gas Font Metal

Later:
Nickel Tool Household hardware Metal Titanium

Early bushings would perhaps be a loose fit on later spindle assemblies.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
I think the kingpin diameter changed as well.
.JDParts lists the same number for the 300 series starting with the 316. The axle also stays the same. They used different bushings to accommodate the 25 metric verses the one inch. They used different bearings for the metric vs the in wheels.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My issue is the kingpin is significantly worn. A 25 mm won't go over the 1" portion (un-worn area between upper and lower bushing). I guess I could melt some silver solder or brazing to fill the bushing -shaft void .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts