Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I been having a little trouble with the front (and only) pto on my 318. Whenever I turn the pto on for the first time it will start instantly. Then after I mow or till for a while and need to shut the pto off for whatever reason it will not come back on when I flip the switch. The only way I have fund to get it to come back on is to move the mower forward or reverse a little bit and then the pto fires back up. A friend of mine has a 318 also and says his does the same exact thing. Anyone have any idea whats going on?

· Registered
266 Posts
Nate you need to adjust the "Air Gap" on the pto.
It should be .018. The was to adjust it is to take your feeler gauge and slip it in between the elongated slots of the pto. The 3 lock nuts close to the slots are what you need to either loosen or tighten to get it set to specks. Go around the 3 slots at least 2 or 3 time to set them. It does not take a lot turns on the 3 nuts to set them. Most of the time you should only need to turn the nuts less then a 1/4 turn each...............

· Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Nate, I agree with Gary. He gives a very good way to do this. First check the air gap as the increased heat as it runs will widen that gap and cause the malfunction. Also check the mounting bolts to see in they have loosened.

If this doesn't help, then check the resistance of the coil. Maybe it is suffering from some internal shorts and is not creating the magnetic field necessary to pull the clutch in.

I worked through this on my 318. The adjustment helps greatly. My 318 eventually needed the coil portion replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.