Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon WFM,

Today I attached the 54" plow on my 1983 318 only to find the inner hydro control arm, the one used for the up & down control with the detent position, inoperable. You can move the lever slightly, what I'd consider free play, but that is all. The lever feels jammed and will not move with the blade hydro's hooked up or disconnected. Before I start removing the rear deck, belly screen, or hydro parts to search for a possible cause I thought I'd see if anyone else has had this, or a a similar problem, along with possible repair recommendations.

Kevin

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WFM,

I decided to investigate/tinker with control lever more and it started working. Seems it was just stuck. Not sure if the control valve or the lever mount itself was stuck but hit both with some PB Blaster afterwards. All seems to be well.

·
Super Moderator
3,693 Posts
WFM,
I decided to investigate/tinker with control lever more and it started working. Seems it was just stuck. Not sure if the control valve or the lever mount itself was stuck but hit both with some PB Blaster afterwards. All seems to be well.
That is what I was going to suggest. Both levers on my 86 318 loader tractor move with a little resistance. After all they don't get used unless I take my loader off and put a deck on.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I had to wiggle mine back n forth about 100 times to free it up after my 420 sat for 7 years un covered

·
Registered
260 Posts
One of my 318s had the inner lever lock solid in the pivot casting. Heat and judicious use of force would not break it free. Drilled the casting (with the stuck shaft in place) and installed then installed a zerk and forced some grease in to it. Got it loose that way. Figured out that the 318 had only been used to mow and used to tow farm wagons so the inner lever had never been used.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I've got a similar problem on my 318 where both levers move and operate, but they are "gummy" and will not return to the "neutral" position without force. Is this also a lubrication issue or something else? I've tried WD-40 and penetrating oil a bit and it has gotten better, but not what it should be yet, (based on the operation of the levers on my other 318). This 318 sat unused for years but was in a shed when we picked it up.

Is PB Blaster that much better than WD-40? I've been meaning to pick some up but keep forgetting to do so.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
In addition to the levers I found the most sticky part to be at the plungers where they go into the valve. My 'best' pictures are not very good and this one is not in that category. If you look at it long enough with your eyes squinted and your tongue just so then go out and look under the hood while moving the levers on your tractor...

318 Hydro Valve Stuck added lables.JPG

I have found Liquid Wrench penetrating oil to be as good as anything else.

·
Super Moderator
3,453 Posts
Morgan, More spray more wiggle, if it's starting to get better you are on the right path.

·
Registered
654 Posts
[QUOTE = Is PB Blaster that much better than WD-40? I've been meaning to pick some up but keep forgetting to do so.[/QUOTE]

Morgan, I believe\think WD-40 evaporates a lot quicker than Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster. Bobo

·
Registered
203 Posts
IMO (And - if you do some research) I believe WD-40 is a "lubricant" and NOT a penetrating agent.

The bottom line is that vegetable oil with 10 percent acetone is more effective at freeing seized bolts than WD-40,
Years ago - I believe that Popular Mechanics did a study and found that the BEST (and cheapest) penetrating agent is a 50-50 mixture of ATF and Acetone... -I use that mix all the time - just store it in a glass or all metal container (NOT styrofoam) - Don't ask me how I know..............

·
Registered
711 Posts
Acetone does wonders for styrofoam

·
Registered
504 Posts
the 318 im testing for a friend the inner hydro lever was stuck in float mode so the blower would settle i took some time and looked at the levers and found that they werent lined up and pulled the lever back so know it works fine

·
Super Moderator
3,693 Posts
Foam is an excellent container for water based drinks or to take worms when you go fishing. But not much else. And the acetone/atf mixture has been mentioned before but my wife doesn't wear finger nail polish so I haven't tried it yet

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Foam is an excellent container for water based drinks or to take worms when you go fishing. But not much else. And the acetone/atf mixture has been mentioned before but my wife doesn't wear finger nail polish so I haven't tried it yet
I have acetone on hand for bare metal cleaning. It's much cheaper then wax and grease remover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts