Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello JD Nuts!!!

I have a 318 that hasn't been started in around 15 years.
I have no idea if the engine is locked up, as I bought it non running,
and I haven't worked on it at all. But I'm getting the bug to give my
running 318 a brother. It has the P engine and 600+ hours.
Are there any precautions or things I should do before trying a first start,
such as throwing some oil in the cylinders, or any other tidbits of
advice that would help? There is no fuel in the tank and I did remove
and clean it a long time ago. Perhaps taking off the engine tin in order to
check for critter nests might also be in order???

Thanks,
Bob D

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Definitely pull the coverings to make sure it’s clean. Probably should put something into the cylinders and make sure it turns over. Make sure it has oil in engine and hydraulics and an air filter. Probably a good few other things that should also be done.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Probably pop the top of the carb, and check for brittle/broken fuel lines to prevent leaks and fires.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Probably pop the top of the carb, and check for brittle/broken fuel lines to prevent leaks and fires.
Good point, definitely check fuel line as it’s probably dry rotted.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
As mentioned removed spark plugs and put a couple squirts of motor oil in each cylinder and rotate the engine by hand. I use a wrench on the flywheel to crankshaft flange bolts. Rotate a couple of revolutions before cranking it over via battery power. Once turning it over under battery power, hold your finger over each cylinder spark plug hole while the plugs are still out to verify compression in each cylinder. If compression checks out for both cylinders then puta a couple of drops of gas in the opening of the carburetor, close the choke and see if it starts and runs for a second or two until it burns up the gas. If it does then pull the engine and give it a thourough cleaning by removing the engine tins and pressure washing all the crud off of the cylinder head cooling fins. I prefer to know if the engine runs fine before I go spending a lot of time cleaning it up. If it’s a dud you might not want to mess with it.

Post some pics and keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point, definitely check fuel line as it’s probably dry rotted.
Definitely pull the coverings to make sure it’s clean. Probably should put something into the cylinders and make sure it turns over. Make sure it has oil in engine and hydraulics and an air filter. Probably a good few other things that should also be done.
Will do, thanks....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As mentioned removed spark plugs and put a couple squirts of motor oil in each cylinder and rotate the engine by hand. I use a wrench on the flywheel to crankshaft flange bolts. Rotate a couple of revolutions before cranking it over via battery power. Once turning it over under battery power, hold your finger over each cylinder spark plug hole while the plugs are still out to verify compression in each cylinder. If compression checks out for both cylinders then puta a couple of drops of gas in the opening of the carburetor, close the choke and see if it starts and runs for a second or two until it burns up the gas. If it does then pull the engine and give it a thourough cleaning by removing the engine tins and pressure washing all the crud off of the cylinder head cooling fins. I prefer to know if the engine runs fine before I go spending a lot of time cleaning it up. If it’s a dud you might not want to mess with it.

Post some pics and keep us posted.
Thank you. I'll try to post some pics and give an update. But first, It's time to get some plants in the ground over the next few weeks. And then I'll turn my attention to the machine!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts