Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
318 Deere with a 20hp Onan, 46" deck, Powerflow bagger system, and Snow Blower.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my current tires are starting to dry out and crack. I've got the "turf saver" style front and rear tires Currently.

My Rear tires are almost like... a hockey puck. There really is no traction once the snow flies. Thank goodness for weights and chains. I'm in MN so it gets butta$$ cold and we get plenty of snow. Traction is a good thing!
Currently, with the blower on, snow on the ground...and the blower down (less weight on the front) it doesn't steer very well. The crappy barely any tread tires just slide.

In the summer my entire yard is a hill. So I leave my wheel weights AND chains on to have the traction needed. So a more aggressive tire would not hurt my feelings at all.

That being said, I'm looking at the Versa-Turf's. They don't make them in a 23-10.50-12, but they do in a 24-12r12. A touch wider...and an inch taller total. Not a big deal.
Easy enough. That decision is pretty easy.
BUT
What are guys running for more aggressive front tires? They aren't making any 8" rim size Versa-Turf currently. So I'd have to do the whole hub swap, with new rims and then get the 18x8.50r10 vs the Stock 16x6.50-8.
That's starting to sound way more expensive. And all the hub swap info I've seen is on 400 series tractors. Probably not a huge difference, but that could turn into a whole different mess! LOL

So, what other alternatives are there? I've seen some more aggressive snowblower tires on walk behind units that I think would work, but they seem to only be a 2 ply rating. Is that really enough? I don't want to cheap out, but a 2 ply is WAY cheaper than a 4 ply.

I found these that are a 4 ply, but for $60 each.

That starts the debate towards the hub swap and spending a little more on the Versa's and just do it right the first time... or... I'm hoping to keep this tractor another 5 years (then 1025r).... just slap on the aggressive cheaper tires and call it a day.

If anyone has any experience with something like this on the front of their tractor... I'm all ears! I love this tractor, and with a newly rebuilt motor, it should last a good long time. BUT... it doesn't do all the things I want to do, so the 1025 is on the list as soon as child support drops in 5ish years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These rear tires with washer fluid in them work great! I have them on my 332 with 20# weights on either side. As for fronts for the snow I run turfs.

Amazon Sign-In
Your Amazon quote didn't work for me. It just brings me to the login page

• Sad
Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Premium Member
10,098 Posts
DD,

Does your 318 have metric or inch size front spindles? The Deere front hubs with 5 studs are an easy swap for the metric ones, but a bit costly -- I did this to both my 322 tractors. One has the stock 8 inch rim size, the other the 10 inch diameter wheels.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

I had no experience with snow at the Oregon property near Beaverton...so can't make any suggestions for tread style in that regard.

Chuck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DD,

Does your 318 have metric or inch size front spindles? The Deere front hubs with 5 studs is an easy swap for the metric ones, but a bit costly -- I did this to both my 322 tractors. One has the stock 8 inch rim size, the other the 10 inch diameter wheels.
View attachment 284428

I had no experience with snow at the Oregon property near Beaverton...so can't make any suggestions for tread style in that regard.

Chuck
Oh man I love the look of that 10" wheel on there!

I had found a post talking about the 400 series a while back. I'm not sure which spindles/axle I have on mine. I'll have to grab the serial number and see if I can tell that way. Maybe it's easier to just pop one off and measure with a caliper.

I saw where you had used the Deere ones(I remember this pic!), but others had good luck with Trailer hubs. There was an issue with the inner bearing and the location of the seal to where they bottom out on the spindle as I recall?

I may have to go and dig up those posts again. If I do the 10" wheel, I'll probably want to go to the 26" rear tire, that way everything is "lifted' equally.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DD,

Does your 318 have metric or inch size front spindles? The Deere front hubs with 5 studs is an easy swap for the metric ones, but a bit costly -- I did this to both my 322 tractors. One has the stock 8 inch rim size, the other the 10 inch diameter wheels.
View attachment 284428

Chuck
My local Northern Tool has these hubs on hand, and Tractor supply has the wheels (white, they will need paint) for $35.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
V61s with a bicycle chain in a groove but with no wieght on the front tires, it dont matter what you put there with a blower.

more rear weight and brake steering can help more than front tires can

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
V61s with a bicycle chain in a groove but with no wieght on the front tires, it dont matter what you put there with a blower.

more rear weight and brake steering can help more than front tires can
I do plan to fluid fill the front tires when I replace them. That should help a little with my bagger on the hills (things get sketchy now with the 6b bagger, it'll be real fun with the MCS)

I do use the steering brakes, but it's a little hard on the driveway, so I'd like to avoid that if I can. Steering brakes are REALLY hard on the grass too...

·
Premium Member
10,098 Posts
I have used trailer hubs on the 1 inch size spindles (on a 317, but the other closed frame early tractors are similar...) Be advised that the trailer hubs have tapered bearings so you need at least some preload on the stackup to make it all work. If you do not have a threaded end to your spindle, you need to do some modifications or accommodations. Below are some images of how it was done on my 317, using the center threaded hole in the spindle. Be mindful of how much distance the trailer hub needs between the front and back bearing -- these garden tractor spindles are pretty short. The NT hub you linked to did not list that dimension.
Tire Automotive tire Road surface Tread Asphalt

Automotive tire Gas Rolling Auto part Wheel

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Chuck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have used trailer hubs on the 1 inch size spindles (on a 317, but the other closed frame early tractors are similar...) Be advised that the trailer hubs have tapered bearings so you need at least some preload on the stackup to make it all work. If you do not have a threaded end to your spindle, you need to do some modifications or accommodations. Below are some images of how it was done on my 317, using the center threaded hole in the spindle. Be mindful of how much distance the trailer hub needs between the front and back bearing -- these garden tractor spindles are pretty short. The NT hub you linked to did not list that dimension.
View attachment 284429

View attachment 284430

View attachment 284431

Chuck
I looked for that dimension as well. I may have to measure the tractor then go to the store and measure.

Overall though, that looks like a pretty simple mod to me! Running a little preload isn't a big deal. Currently I have a little slop, so it won't break my heart to get rid of that!

I may just have to do this one, and go with the bigger tires. I really like how that looks, and the footprint...well... that may not help in the winter, BUT the overall size should gain a bit in fluid ballast, so hopefully it makes up the difference! (looks like another gallon, so an extra 20lbs!)

I'll try to access this with my phone and post up a pic of my neighbor. He's got a zero turn and is on his 4th time needing to "recover" the zero turn from a runaway down the hill into the pond. Luckily only once has the front tires made it to the waters edge!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

He was mowing up hill when it spun one tire and took a turn downhill. He grabbed the truck and hooked up, the grabbed his gal to pilot the tractor on the way back up the hill. I caught up with everything at this point.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Snowblowers have an incredible learning curve. If you want to turn some while blowing and the tires just slide, just take the weight of the blower with the lift to put some weight on the tires until you are where you want to be.

·
Premium Member
10,098 Posts
DD,

What year is your tractor again? I ask because some have inch size spindles (which would be candidates for the trailer hub conversion) while others have METRIC spindles that would require the Deere hub from later style SE tractors.

Here is the SN break points for the 318 through 430 tractors...

Up to SN 372595 used 1" spindles.
SN 372596 and up used 25mm spindles.
SN 010001-120000 used 25mm spindles.
Up to SN 366886 used 1" spindles.
SN 366887 and up used 25mm spindles.
Note: All 322 and 332 models used 25mm spindles.
Up to 362061 used 1" spindles.
SN 362062 and up used 25mm spindles.
Up to 362714 used 1" spindles.
SN 362715 and up used 25mm spindles.

Deere 5 stud front hubs to fit metric spindles are pretty pricey...they even were when I did my 332 tractors a decade or so ago. The part number is AM140109 and the price then was $103 each, now they run $218 each...and you need separate metric lug bolts with them as well. :(

Chuck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Snowblowers have an incredible learning curve. If you want to turn some while blowing and the tires just slide, just take the weight of the blower with the lift to put some weight on the tires until you are where you want to be.
Woh... I would have never guessed! LOL Jk
I've only been dealing with the white crap for....well alive for 44... ran over my first extension cord with the 212 and blower at 11...so... a couple years. sarcasm off lol

I do know that, but that does make for more work and scraping because now there is snow where I don't want snow to be... and I just ran it over. Wait... More seat time! Wooohoo! wait... at -20.. I don't want more seat time! LOL

It's more that I have some tight areas and need to be able to turn with the blower functioning so I don't run the snow over. It's not usually a huge deal, but I try to keep the blower down and tracks from anything to a minimum. My driveway gets icy if it is ran over prior to removal. I don't like to use salt, if I can avoid it. So if I can make the tractor turn in slow tight areas, I'd like to. If all it takes is new tires and liquid ballast, I will be a happy man!

I usually leave the vehicles sit, blow out most of the driveway, shovel where the vehicles will run the snow over, move them out of the driveway, then finish blowing the driveway.

Being on a bit of a hill sucks.
The first year we lived in this house I got lazy one 2" snowfall and didn't do anything. I parked my truck one day, got out, closed the door, and it slid 40' down the driveway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DD,

What year is your tractor again? I ask because some have inch size spindles (which would be candidates for the trailer hub conversion) while others have METRIC spindles that would require the Deere hub from later style SE tractors.

Here is the SN break points for the 318 through 430 tractors...

Up to SN 372595 used 1" spindles.
SN 372596 and up used 25mm spindles.
SN 010001-120000 used 25mm spindles.
Up to SN 366886 used 1" spindles.
SN 366887 and up used 25mm spindles.
Note: All 322 and 332 models used 25mm spindles.
Up to 362061 used 1" spindles.
SN 362062 and up used 25mm spindles.
Up to 362714 used 1" spindles.
SN 362715 and up used 25mm spindles.

Deere 5 stud front hubs to fit metric spindles are pretty pricey...they even were when I did my 332 tractors a decade or so ago. The part number is AM140109 and the price then was $103 each, now they run $218 each...and you need separate metric lug bolts with them as well. :(

Chuck
I'm not 100% honestly. I'll have to get the SN off it and check. I haven't taken the time to worry about it. I'm going to guess that since it had a BG43 in it, that it's an early one and uses the 25mm though... because that's just my luck! I'll grab the SN in a bit and check though.

·
Premium Member
10,098 Posts
The earlier ones use the inch size spindles, its the later years that use the metric hubs. The B43G engine was used through SN 420,000 in the 318, so it is just possible to have a short overlap and still get metric, which began at SN 372,596. Below is a year model to SN illustration from the PC1924 parts catalog PDF document.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Chuck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Survey says (as I run out the door)
M00313x286455

1 - 20 of 38 Posts