Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was in the same predicament with the front VersaTurfs for my 420. There are a few ways to do the wheel conversion (that I came up with) and they all are about the same cost and same amount of work.
First would be to add a trailer hub. Those hubs (from everything Ive read) are about 1/4" too long. So you have to add to the spindle or cut down the bearing bore on a lathe. I think you might find roller bearings to fit which would eliminate the need for preload.
Second would be to use a stock rim but cut out the hub and either weld it into a 10" rim, weld on a wheel flange (go cart flange) or just fab a hub/go cart flange to work with stock bearings.
Lastly, buy a trailer hub and axle kit, weld on the trailer spindles to the stock tractor spindles.

I just bought V61s for now. And I agree, the rear brakes are the best option for steering in snow. I use them all the time on my sloped yard without any damage. You just have to apply just enough pressure to transfer power.

Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
10,060 Posts
So those spindles are 1 inch in diameter. As you know, the318 spindles do not have any easy way to add a threaded means of adding tension/preload to trailer hubs. If you can machine a hub...then this link shows a good approach:

Chuck

·
Registered
318 Deere with a 20hp Onan, 46" deck, Powerflow bagger system, and Snow Blower.
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well... I dont really have a way to "machine" them, but I could be as precise as a grinder can be... lol

I actually have a friend with a lathe, but im not sure if he would have time to do it for me.

Humm.. things to think about.

·
Premium Member
10,060 Posts
DD,

I recalled seeing this vendor some time ago but just found the information. Xtreme Motorworks, LLC makes just the hub you want -- off the shelf. (y) Here is their website's wheel and accessories page:

And the part you want is only $148 / pair, and is PN# CC-52-010. Picture is below, just need to paint them...

Rim Gas Door Automotive wheel system Circle

This is the shortest and cheapest path to front lugged hubs on your early 318 for sure. :)

Chuck

·
Premium Member
10,060 Posts
Also, Deere now wants about $190 per wheel for the plain 10 inch front rims as pictured on my 322 earlier in this thread. This is a common wheel on the 10 series SCUT machines, but you can get them for about $100 less each as seen here:

Tractor Supply Company sells one by Martin for just $35, but it needs to be painted yellow.

These last rims are 6 inches wide, so may not be well suited to some 18x8.50-10 tires...

Chuck

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Woh... I would have never guessed! LOL Jk
I've only been dealing with the white crap for....well alive for 44... ran over my first extension cord with the 212 and blower at 11...so... a couple years. sarcasm off lol

I do know that, but that does make for more work and scraping because now there is snow where I don't want snow to be... and I just ran it over. Wait... More seat time! Wooohoo! wait... at -20.. I don't want more seat time! LOL

It's more that I have some tight areas and need to be able to turn with the blower functioning so I don't run the snow over. It's not usually a huge deal, but I try to keep the blower down and tracks from anything to a minimum. My driveway gets icy if it is ran over prior to removal. I don't like to use salt, if I can avoid it. So if I can make the tractor turn in slow tight areas, I'd like to. If all it takes is new tires and liquid ballast, I will be a happy man!

I usually leave the vehicles sit, blow out most of the driveway, shovel where the vehicles will run the snow over, move them out of the driveway, then finish blowing the driveway.

Being on a bit of a hill sucks.
The first year we lived in this house I got lazy one 2" snowfall and didn't do anything. I parked my truck one day, got out, closed the door, and it slid 40' down the driveway.
No disrespect meant, I’ve just come across more than a couple of people that didn’t think to use the blower for front traction weight as needed. You don’t have to pick up the blower, just transfer some weight from it to the front tires.
I’ve been there before, when I slipped on ice that was snow the day before because it was SUPPOSED to warm up and melt. I landed hard enough to crush the key ring that was in my right hand. And yes, I didn’t quite get up right away…

Reactions: DieselDood

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
No disrespect meant, I’ve just come across more than a couple of people that didn’t think to use the blower for front traction weight as needed. You don’t have to pick up the blower, just transfer some weight from it to the front tires.
I’ve been there before, when I slipped on ice that was snow the day before because it was SUPPOSED to warm up and melt. I landed hard enough to crush the key ring that was in my right hand. And yes, I didn’t quite get up right away…
Ouch! Been there!
Went down hard and destroyed my favorite coffee cup and a work laptop all at once.
The days that "should" warm up seem to be the worst! Somehow making that slight transition that looks like snow, but is all ice.

You have a great point. When we had that 212 growing up, I would have never thought of it. Running the steering was hard enough! Lol lift the blower too?! Nope. Honestly, my first time using that blower... I wasnt even able to lift it! Lol.
A few years later was Halloween blizzard in 91... I was 13 at the time. Probably 115lbs soaking wet with a wool shirt on.. lol I dont remember lifting it then either.

My first 314 i learned the lift trick with the hydro. It was a catch 22, leave the blower down to turn easier, but not make the turn because there isn't enough pressure... and it had the, what I jokingly call the DOT slicks on the front. What a worthless tire those are...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
DD,

I recalled seeing this vendor some time ago but just found the information. Xtreme Motorworks, LLC makes just the hub you want -- off the shelf. (y) Here is their website's wheel and accessories page:

And the part you want is only $148 / pair, and is PN# CC-52-010. Picture is below, just need to paint them...

View attachment 284443

This is the shortest and cheapest path to front lugged hubs on your early 318 for sure. :)

Chuck
I was thinking about this on my drive home.
Really, what he did was take out the tapered bearings, find the depth of the factory deere bearing, then took the trailer hub down to where the bearing sat. Basically cutting off where the seal would be.

While I agree the "proper" tools are the right way, this is seeing....what 11mph?
I think if a guy took his time, marked it carefully, then was very careful with a cut off wheel, it could be done. It doesn't have to be perfect at these speeds and loads.

Am I thinking way out of line?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I was in the same predicament with the front VersaTurfs for my 420. There are a few ways to do the wheel conversion (that I came up with) and they all are about the same cost and same amount of work.
First would be to add a trailer hub. Those hubs (from everything Ive read) are about 1/4" too long. So you have to add to the spindle or cut down the bearing bore on a lathe. I think you might find roller bearings to fit which would eliminate the need for preload.
Second would be to use a stock rim but cut out the hub and either weld it into a 10" rim, weld on a wheel flange (go cart flange) or just fab a hub/go cart flange to work with stock bearings.
Lastly, buy a trailer hub and axle kit, weld on the trailer spindles to the stock tractor spindles.

I just bought V61s for now. And I agree, the rear brakes are the best option for steering in snow. I use them all the time on my sloped yard without any damage. You just have to apply just enough pressure to transfer power.

View attachment 284442
How do you like the VersaTurf's in the snow? I've heard they are good enough guys don't even run chains!?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The tires I finally got to link up are washing fluid filled with 20# wheel weights no other weights. I had no trouble last year in the snow at all without chains.
Nice! If the Versa Turf's as a Radial tire weren't available those would be something I'd strongly consider. The Radial advantage for the Versa Turf, really has me leaning that way.

Had some brutal snow last winter so its not really the best to review on. They were "ok". I filled them this summer so we'll see this winter.
Ya I was looking in the picture you posted. That looked wet and heavy. Which is of course crappy to deal with in the traction aspect as well.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts