Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

hope this makes sense. I would like to buy a beat up 318 that has a closed frame back end and put it on my open frame 318. I hope the terminology is correct when I say this. The one I’m looking at buying has pto and lift arms and my low hour doesn’t. If I’m out to lunch feel free to tell me. If I can let me know what is needed to proceed. Thanks a lot fellas. Here are some pics.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I think (if I understand correctly) you just want to swap parts from one 318 to another? (I don't think there were any closed frame 318's).

The PTO and lift should work from 318 to 318.

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the lift looks like an MCS lift or maybe a tiller?

Reactions: scosit

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think (if I understand correctly) you just want to swap parts from one 318 to another? (I don't think there were any closed frame 318's).

The PTO and lift should work from 318 to 318.

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the lift looks like an MCS lift or maybe a tiller?
Ya I would like to be able to have pto and lift arms on another 318 and as far as I can tell it should be just a swap like you’re saying. Just want to make sure. In regards to closed frame that’s my mistake, I didn’t know the correct wording.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I would like to be able to have pto and lift arms on another 318 and as far as I can tell it should be just a swap like you’re saying. Just want to make sure. In regards to closed frame that’s my mistake, I didn’t know the correct wording.
Also there as an MC519 cart there so will be looking at that too.

·
Registered
686 Posts
To move a 3 point hitch from one tractor to yours, in addition to the lower lift arms, you will need to take the 3 pt rock shaft and the lower lift arm brackets off the 3 pt tractor and attach to your tractor. The lower lift arm brackets are bolted to the 3 pt tractor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To move a 3 point hitch from one tractor to yours, in addition to the lower lift arms, you will need to take the 3 pt rock shaft and the lower lift arm brackets off the 3 pt tractor and attach to your tractor. The lower lift arm brackets are bolted to the 3 pt tractor.
Hey Mike,
So it is doable. I tried searching but I couldn’t find the correct wording and I wasn’t 100 percent certain that it was an actual 3pt. I’ll see what I can find. Thanks!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I can't tell from your description if you just want to move the pto and attaching brackets from the MCS or if you want to move a 3 pt hitch. In any case, take a good look at your tractor and take some photos. Compare it to the 318 that you are going to look at and note where brackets bolt to. Without seeing pictures of what you are trying to mount, it's hard to comment but you should be able to tell when you look at the new machine and how the MCS bolts up to it.

The MCS should also have a chute that attaches to the mower deck and some tubing connecting the chute to the MCS. Take pictures of your deck and write down dimensions of the discharge opening and write down the model number and compare to the deck and chute on the tractor you are going to look at. If you are wanting to keep the current mower deck that you have, the key is that the chute fits your deck discharge opening. If it does not fit, you will have to buy the correct chute or possibly use the new mower deck on your current tractor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't tell from your description if you just want to move the pto and attaching brackets from the MCS or if you want to move a 3 pt hitch. In any case, take a good look at your tractor and take some photos. Compare it to the 318 that you are going to look at and note where brackets bolt to. Without seeing pictures of what you are trying to mount, it's hard to comment but you should be able to tell when you look at the new machine and how the MCS bolts up to it.

The MCS should also have a chute that attaches to the mower deck and some tubing connecting the chute to the MCS. Take pictures of your deck and write down dimensions of the discharge opening and write down the model number and compare to the deck and chute on the tractor you are going to look at. If you are wanting to keep the current mower deck that you have, the key is that the chute fits your deck discharge opening. If it does not fit, you will have to buy the correct chute or possibly use the new mower deck on your current tractor.
Perfect response. Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Sorry, there is one large photo and one small. I thought they were the same photo. I just looked at the second photo. It looks like the top bracket on the second photo is part of the rock shaft and it looks like it will move to your tractor. The lower brackets look like they are bolt ons and might bolt to your tractor also but I can't tell from the photo. .

·
Registered
686 Posts
Doublecheck those lower brackets. I cannot tell what they attach to or how they are attached. They do not look like the 3 pt brackets that just bolt to the bottom of the axle. Someone with an MCS should be able to help you.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It's not a 3pt lift on that tractor. I'm not sure, but it may be for a hydralic dump mcs unit. The rear pto will fit.
If the pictured lift is from jd, it will fit on another open frame tractor.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Holy cow, I just looked up some PTO's on the auction site... wow, those are pretty pricey. I could see where a whole parts tractor with one would be worth it. Yikes.

·
Premium Member
9,687 Posts
Scosit,

The second picture you attached in the first post of this thread is a tractor set up for the 30 hydraulic tiller. The lift arms for such a tiller attach to the ends of the rock shaft as you can see and the lower brackets are below the hitch plate. A 318 3-pt hitch has lift arm attachment points on the rock shaft internal to the frame bushings, and the lower mounts project above the hitch plate. Here is a picture of both styles of lower mounts being used at the same time...
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper

Below are the parts used on a real 3-pt for a 318 as shown in the PC1924 Parts catalog....
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

Chuck

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have an mc519 cart on one of my tractors. There is a special plate that bolts to the hitch that the cart attaches to. The bracket and cart won’t fit with the 3 point. You’ll need one tractor for the 3pt and rear pto and another tractor for the mc519 cart. The benefit of having two tractors is they multiply and have babies and before you know it you’ll have 40 🤣🤣

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello guys, thanks for all the input. I didn’t get the tractor as it went for more than I wanted to pay. $740 I think. If I did get it I might be sleeping on the couch for a while. But I did get the MC519. I went to JD today and that plate (TempletonJDguy) is obsolete of course and it isn’t with the bagger. I will see if I can find specs on it to have a friend or machine shop fab something up. Sorry for dragging you guys along on the rear end stuff but again thanks a ton for your info.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you need me to take pics and measurements for you I can do that. Should be easy to make. You’ll love your cart, I love mine!👍🏻
Well heck that would be great! I always like original but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. No rush as I won’t be able to go get it until Monday or Tuesday as I have to coach baseball this weekend. I haven’t checked EBay yet but will later on also but I’m thinking getting it done will be my only option.

Reactions: TempletonJDguy
1 - 18 of 18 Posts