Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there. I bought two 318’s last fall. One was easy to get running but has developed a knock that I think is a rod. The second tractor was stored for ten years and then the kids decided to get grandads tractor running. An eventual backfire set the engine on fire. I think an incorrect fuel pump may have aided the fire. I got the tractor from the fellow that bought it from the family. Damage is local to the top of the engine and wiring.
I have to dig down to good wire to restablish the leads from the ignition module before I can wire up a new coil. I have penetrating fluid in the intake and cylinders now which I will exercise out prior to fire up.
Any advice on next steps are appreciated. I have revived decades dead engines before but never an electronic ignition, always points. i Plan to swap this engine to the knocking tractor so I can address the knock. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
peas,

Nothing special about the electronic ignition, other than observing the polarity of the connections. The module resides behind the stator and under the flywheel, so a top end fire should not have effected it...just be sure to restore the harness and connections correctly regarding polarity, etc. All the information is in the TM1590 -- if you don't have that manual just let us know.

Pictures of your engine fire damage will help if we need to give further advice, but from your description above you are headed the right direction...

Chuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts