Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

My 318 with Vanguard 23 repower dies when PTO engaged - not always but frequently. I typically use it in summer with Johnny Bucket not mowing but just installed the snowblower and am experiencing it. It was functioning properly last winter -. I have cleaned the ground on PTO - what to do next?

Thanks, Haddon
Rochester, MN

· Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Haddon,

Engaging the PTO adds about 3 to 4 amps of draw on the electrical system. If your charging system is not at full function, or if the battery is getting end of life, then the sag in system voltage may cause the engine to die on a Onan-powered 318 -- not sure what would occur on your re-power.

The other consideration is that the PTO adds some mechanical load to the engine, so check the state of tune on it and make sure that the idle speed is high enough. A lot of users like the engine to idle very slowly, but the manual states the idle speed to be a minimum of 1350 RPM. Further, the manuals recommend advancing the throttle to one-third when engaging any attachment...here is the user manual page for using the mower for instance:
Font Motor vehicle Paper Pattern Brand

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

Thanks much. I appreciate your expertise and guidance. After seeing this, I checked the battery terminals and put a trickle charge on the battery all night. Even though the battery is sufficient to start the motor, it really didn't take a full charge and given that it's 4 years old I just replaced it. Unfortunately, I don't seem to found the problem yet - makes me wonder whether the blower needs to be lubed and verify it's turning freely - I installed it 1 year and little pieces of mouse started coming out of the chain guard. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Thanks, Haddon

· Registered
940 Posts
If you want to know if the snowblower is the issue, take the snowblower drive belt off the pto. If you can turn the pto switch to on (without driving the snowblower) and the engine stays running, you have isolated the issue to the snowblower load. If the engine stumbles or dies, your problem is on the tractor side.
With the snowblower belt still disconnected, you should be able to turn the snowblower drive pulley by hand. If it does not turn freely, investigate to see what is dragging and not turning freely.

· Registered
1,640 Posts
I had similar problem with my 318 with a Honda GX670. The motor stopped even when I turn on the PTO with a different battery. I had to disconnect the oil level sensor, this sensor probably didn't like the magnetic field from the clutch?

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Every 49 I’ve had I had to pull the drive chain gaurd off and evict the mouse nest!! Then the chain has a tight spot in it from the urine and must be lubed, wire wheeled, oils with penetrating oil, heated and oils some more. Worked by hand till all the high spots are out of it and roll smooth by hand.

· Registered
7 Posts
A recent experience I had with a GS30 was similar. It wasn't electrical. The pilot circuit in the carb was plugged up or dirty. I had to pull the choke immediately after engaging the PTO. Once the engine recovered its rpm's I released the choke and away I went. Ultimately I cleaned the carb and its been fine/normal ever since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts