Weekend Freedom Machines banner

141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
I'm going to email Boomer. After a little research the "good" points original to the onan are limited in supply left and expensive. Could i just clean these up and see how it runs before i mess with them?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
As long as they aren't burnt, worn wonky and you have something to work with. Dress lightly with a mild file, clean them with a little carb cleaner on some white card stock...like an unused white business card. Catch the card between the contacts when closed and pull the card out...this cleans and removes dust, grit from the points surfaces.
Have you checked with iSave Tractors? Don't know if they carry the Onan points.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Sounds good. BOOMER said same thing. I need to see which ones I presently have. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Not sure if these are original or not? Not the # Boomer ssid to look for by repco. I got a few more parts on, starter, flywheel shroud, heads. Also ordered new hydro and oil filter. I think I'm close to be ready for putting in back in tractor.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Can’t tell...sure your thumb is original though.😀 be careful with the little plunger that moves in/out to open the points contacts...very easy to lose.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Got a little time today working on frame, picked up new hose for hydro. Got fluid from rural king. Pulling hydro valves also. Not sure what to look for on them? I also thought there was always a hole the free wheel lever locked into?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Unless you see torn o-rings, not much to inspect on valves.... they either work or they don't ! Nope, no hole in frame. Gravity keeps lever in free wheel and it's tucked between frame and fuel tank for "Drive" position. But, nothing says you can't drill a hole to hold in free wheel or drive!
I drilled 2 holes in my 322, 1 for free and 1 for drive. Fender pan was off and I could see if I had clearance between lever and valves. Marked with marker in drive, then lowered to free and marked. No problem drilling by hand, just use a small (1/8-3/16) lead drill. Bob

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The only thing I know of to free them up is to work them manually. Try to grab the pin will needle nosed pliers in the center and pull it up, then push it down. It should move freely. A little WD or hyd. oil may help. When installed they should pop up when the engine is started. If not, warm engine for 3 or 4 minutes then go full throttle. Try needle nosed again to raise. Push down and they should pop up again. If this fails several times, replace! Bob

Reactions: ptzbrg

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It's been a while since I've messed with these! Try holding at an angle and tap head against a piece of wood...hardwood preferred. The tapping may (??) move the pin out. If you've got "diagonal cut" pliers, you may be able to GENTLY grab the pin with the cutting edge and pull it out. Be gentle with these pins as they need to go through o-rings to seal! Bob

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
AHH! As I said, it's been a while but I remembered I have the old valves that I removed from my 322. There's a hole in the bottom of the valve around .099 diameter. If you have numbered drills, a #40 or #41 should fit in the hole. If not, the old metal coat hangers are about .093 and will work! Stick whatever you have that will fit into the hole, apply pressure and wiggle. The pin should pop out. When working properly, the pin is spring loaded and should stay popped up. Bob

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hope you can get 'em to work. The JD price for those things new is $200.+ Might be other sources or better used ones available.
BTW, seems the earliest 318s had a slot in the frame for the trans. free-wheeling lever. To hold it in non free-wheel I think.
215440.jpg

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
About 3 years ago I bought new valves from LJ Fluid Power in Delton, MI. (269) 623-4150 for $144 for 2 valves. Prices may/probably changed, but it's a source if you need them! Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,871 Posts
Hope you can get 'em to work. The JD price for those things new is $200.+ Might be other sources or better used ones available.
BTW, seems the earliest 318s had a slot in the frame for the trans. free-wheeling lever. To hold it in non free-wheel I think.
View attachment 265367
I have a 1983 that has that hole.

·
Premium Member
4,366 Posts
Did you get Mr. Lang's firewall Matt?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
I found the thread 2 it. Not particularly wanting to pull engine back out to be honest. Guess i l should have thought of that!

141 - 160 of 189 Posts