Weekend Freedom Machines banner

161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,366 Posts
I don't know how required it is,but they came with one. I have one from John, but am waiting till I have to pull the motor to put it in.

Reactions: ptzbrg

·
Registered
668 Posts
Guess the engine firewall/partition insulation is in fact a benefit - for proper cooling & air flow.
Check with Mr. Lang. Think he may have kits that do not require engine removal for installation.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, that is correct. The insulation does a good job. Depending on the tractor model, the insulation makes a tight seal around the flywheel shroud so the flywheel fan can pull cooler air from the back of the tractor and across the hydro. Without the tight seal around the shroud, the flywheel fan can pull recirculated warm air from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
I put on new oil filter last night and got all wiring done. I think I'm down to putting battery tray and battery in. Put fuel lines and new grommets back in tank. Fill with oil and I'm getting 2 new plugs. I'm close to trying this thing. I'm thinking I'll look for spark first, then check compression. Any other first time starting tips on new rebuild?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
The engine may not want to start in the beginning... fuel lines & carb are without fuel! Keep cranking or pour a LITTLE gas in carb, maybe 1/2 a gallon jug cap, into carb. It'll run only for a few seconds, but this gets fuel pump pumping faster. Once it runs n its own, keep rpms low. maybe no more than 1/3-1/2 throttle. Once engine has some temperature to it, try full throttle and see how it sounds. Run for at least 20 minutes and adjust carb if nec. After shutting down, let cool completely and RETORQUE heads, otherwise you may be replacing head gaskets! I'd run/use it for 10-20 hours and then change oil & filter. Bob

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Does the oil filter new gasket just push into the exterior tins? Mine doesn't want to stay or mesh all that well?

·
Premium Member
4,366 Posts
Looking good Matt, on mine the battery cable to the starter (big red) is routed under the motor. I don't know if that is where it needs to be or not, just an observation

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Happy to report as of now with a little help from a friend the onan b43g runs very nicely! Neighbor assisted with touched up points again, put on new condenser, gas in bowl of carb was a little funky? So we removed that. At this point runs very nicely, starts, idles, throttles up, hydro good, PTO switch activates. I'm happy. Might have to start thread on one issue my grommets are leaking fuel, I know there's plenty of material on this. I'll read it. I greased new ones up, tried inserting, struggled pretty bad. Tried opening up holes a touch now not sure if I've got holes uneven or what, but they leak!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Also at bottom throttle idle, the engine light at least flickers if not stays solid, as soon as any movement in throttle lever goes off. This normal? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,871 Posts
Also at bottom throttle idle, the engine light at least flickers if not stays solid, as soon as any movement in throttle lever goes off. This normal? Thanks
Do you have a way to check idle speed? It should be 1350 RPM. Low idle speed can cause the light to flicker.

·
Registered
628 Posts
A tiny tach will help with that. Not inexpensive and are battery powered (and on top of that they don't have replaceable batteries!) but they show rpms and some do a bit more like have service interval timers. TinyTach.com

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Going under paint today. Just a little upgrade from earl scheib, sanded with 220, primed spots that needed it, wiped with acetone(that's what I had and mineral spirits), painted for first time with Deere spray paint. Observations love coverage, happy with look, but did still have some clogging issues with spray and "spitting" of paint. Not real bad and I did have in barn last night. Maybe cold even though 70 when I painted in shop.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,871 Posts
I don't know how required it is,but they came with one. I have one from John, but am waiting till I have to pull the motor to put it in.
The thing I noticed about my 1983 318 was the increased air flow out the front of the tractor. I also believe it helps to keep the battery cooler.

Does the oil filter new gasket just push into the exterior tins? Mine doesn't want to stay or mesh all that well?
There should be a grove around the outer edge that fits into the tins.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's what I noticed after I installed the firewall insulation. I had just finished snowblowing on a windy day. A lot of the snow blew back on me! I'm a firm believer in the firewall insulation and it's effect on air flow and preventing air recirculation under the hood. IMG_5211.jpeg

161 - 180 of 189 Posts