Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, More news of the 318, 1200 hours and smoke. I have not used the 318 since late June. It would collect oil in the air filter box and smoke after short use. I know it is a ring problem and blow by. I thought I would start it up one more time before engine overhaul. I cleaned the air cleaner box of oil and removed the air cleaner and foam pre cleaner. The foam pre cleaner was soaked in oil so I left it off and then cut the grass taking about 2 hours. No SMOKE and only used a little oil. The breather has a very slight oil mist but this is being pulled into the intake of the engine. The engine runs well but I am going to do a complete overhaul anyway as this engine burned oil since it was new. I think the oil out of the breather soaking the pre cleaner caused a overly rich mixture which caused even more oil use. Any thoughts. Regards, Ed

· Registered
5,084 Posts
maybe your breather is the cause, you can take it apart and clean it as sometimes a lil something can get stuck in it

have you done a compression test?

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Again, Yes the breather has been checked and compression is down a bit but is even at 100PSI with the engine temp 75 F. The engine always burned oil. I would think these engines were built with a bit more clearances that a quality water cooled unit. Regards, Ed

· Registered
5,084 Posts
and you have removed the tins to make sure nothing is blocking air flow?

oil spray can mean bad rings or the breather valve is broken or something holding it open

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.