Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this forum and believe that I may have a bad ignition switch but would like your guys thoughts.

While turning over the engine trying to get it to start while trying to fix another problem posted in a different thread. . . the starter quit and just does ONE CLICK. The starter is stuck in the open position locked into the fly wheel.

The starter does not turn over now. So I am guessing that I fried my ignition switch based on stuff that I have read on here. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I see in your profile that you have an 1986.
Mine is the same year and I just had those symptoms.
I had to buy a new relay for the starting improvement kit and all the bad stuff went away.
If yours does not have this kit yet, you might consider putting one on.
Its the best $20.00 you'll spend.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Jack, thanks for the response. I am going to pick up the relay tomorrow. Based upon the advice from the John Deere guy in parts, I took a screw driver and lightly put pressure on the worm drive and it sprung back into a "closed" state, so I tried to restart and it moved but then died, so believe your are 100% correct that my volts are screwed up.

Will let you know how the relay works out!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O.k. here is an update. I don't have the P218 motor or whatever the motor is when it switched from having the solenoid seprate from the starter to having the starter solenoid and starter as one piece.

Regardless I got the relay kit home, studied for an hour, scratched my head, called john deere and the guy told me that I can't use the kit on my B43g. . .

So to date, I changed out the starting solenoid and the ignition switch.

The starter will start to spin about 1 out of every 10 tries, same thing if I run a jumper cable from my positive battery terminal to the cable post on front of the starter itself.

So yesterday a buddy and I pulled the motor. I opted for the not un bolting the drive shaft from the motor option after I marked the opposite end and spline.

The motor was surprisingly clean compared to some of the pics I have seen on here!

So I dropped the starter off yesterday at a local shop to see how much a rebuild will be.

Are the starters on ebay and stuff for $69.00 with a one year warranty any good?

Thanks for the advice so far from everyone. . .

·
Banned
536 Posts
Trpshoot, stay away from the auction site starters. Many guys have purchased them and end up breaking the mounting casting of the new starter. If I were you I would have your old one rebuilt.
Just my opinion.
Good luck, Joe

·
Banned
536 Posts
that is a very tough question. Price will vary depending on what needs to be done. Brushes, bearings and a good overall clean up is not very expensive. If the Armature is bad it will get more expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.