Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

Registered
1990 John Deere 318/ (Serial Number 600305-)
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm wire brushing all of the bolts, nuts,etc. I noticed this one had JD 109 stamped on it. Anybody know what the 109 means? Just curious 馃
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Gas

Registered
Yes, 318s are a somewhat unique mix. The engine and rear end use SAE bolts, while most but not all of the body bolts are metric. The rear motor mount bolts are SAE, as that is how the engine base is threaded, but the front bolts are metric from the factory.
One notable exception on the body using metric bolts is the small bracket between the dash and the battery that holds the rear hood latch. The 4 bolts holding it in the pedestal are SAE.
I think if you go newer to a 345 or 425 they are mostly metric, but there might be some exceptions.

Premium Member
Actually, there are many places in machinery of that period (80s and 90s) where metric and inch sizes are intermixed...here is just one page from the 318 parts catalog showing such a mix -- red marks are metric, green are inch sizes. Many cars of that period were a similar transition.
Product Font Rectangle Slope Parallel

A bit more esoteric is the mix of inch and Whitworth hardware used on the Jaguars and other English cars of the 50s and 60s, and I still have sets of wrenches for the Whitworth standard. For those not familiar, the Whitworth wrench is sized according to the diameter of the shank of the bolt, not the head. A 1/4 W (Whitworth) wrench is actually a bit larger than a 1/2鈥 American wrench鈥0.525鈥 to 0.500鈥

Chuck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok, I removed my timing cover this morning and I wanted to take a pic of the "flyball spacers". I can't seem to get the clip off the end of the camshaft. Does anyone know an easy way to do that?....
Thanks, Robert
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well folks, everything was going pretty smooth. Slow but smooth. Then after some good advice from Boomer, I took a closer look at the starter mount holes on the cylinder. I found an obstacle to my goal.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

I trying to see if a B43 oil pan and starter would work on a p218g

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

Registered
Well that's just plain sad to see after all your hard work. It is unfortunately common and I suppose Boomer can fix you up with a pan and pan mounted starter. Many have missing pieces after they crack but yours looks all there. Is there any chance a really skilled welder could get in there groove it out a bit and weld/braze it up? Don't know whether that would just be band aid or not? Keep up the good work and perseverance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well as some of you know, I ran into some problems halfway through my project. I am waiting on parts and I plan to resume full speed ahead. But during my wait, I had time to window shop a lot. Wham bam...next thing you know I'm the proud owner of a 322. I've wanted one forever and stumbled on to this. I'm feeling pretty good today 馃檪. I'll post some pics in a few minutes.

Premium Member
Great score -- that is my favorite model vintage Deere garden tractor!!!

It looks to be in great shape -- what year is it? You can map the year from the serial number chart shown below:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Not shown in the tag chart above is that the 1992 models begin at SN M00322X110001 (my 1992 year 322 was M00322 111583...)

Let me know if you need any documents on this model 322 as you begin to get familiar with it...

Chuck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
M00322x100558... So apparently it's a 1991. PO gave me a hard copy of TM1591. I'll be looking to manual up. I'd appreciate any literature for the machine and the Yanmar. I'm totally psyched! No sleep tonight! It seems to have play in the steering compared to my 318.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts