Weekend Freedom Machines banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

Registered
1990 John Deere 318/ (Serial Number 600305-)
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Chuck,
It's encouraging to know that there are more than one avenue to get parts for a lawn tractor, however I'm not getting the same reassurance when looking for gas powered Yanmar. Do you have any insight on that?

Robert

Premium Member
Robert,

Yanmar parts are a bit less common used, and new parts are pretty only much from Deere, Yanmar marine dealers and a few on-line resellers. The fortunate thing is that these engines are very robust and do not typically need major service parts during their first several thousand hours of run time, unless abused.

Many of the engine parts are the same or similar between the gas and diesel engines in this size...which makes the unique pieces like carburetor assemblies one of the more difficult parts categories to source as used or after-market.

Your tractor looks to be in great shape -- do you have parts concerns at present?

Chuck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Nice 322...I really enjoy mine. Haven't had trouble getting Yanmar parts thru our dealer, or the online outlets either. Is yours manual or auto choke?
Nice 322...I really enjoy mine. Haven't had trouble getting Yanmar parts thru our dealer, or the online outlets either. Is yours manual or auto choke?
Mine has been converted to a manual choke by the PO. I want to get some feedback about the auto choke before deciding whether to go back. I was looking for a carburetor and couldn't find a reasonably priced one like I could for the Onan.
Robert,

Yanmar parts are a bit less common used, and new parts are pretty only much from Deere, Yanmar marine dealers and a few on-line resellers. The fortunate thing is that these engines are very robust and do not typically need major service parts during their first several thousand hours of run time, unless abused.

Many of the engine parts are the same or similar between the gas and diesel engines in this size...which makes the unique pieces like carburetor assemblies one of the more difficult parts categories to source as used or after-market.

Your tractor looks to be in great shape -- do you have parts concerns at present?

Chuck
Chuck,
I am going over it and evaluating and prioritizing deficiencies and improvements. The carburetor seems sluggish and running a bit lean. I'm going to replace all fuel lines and clean the carb...wash out fuel tank. I'm just looking for a carb for a just in case.

Robert

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I ran it for a couple hours the first day I brought it home and was shocked when I removed the fuel tank because it felt almost full. Does anyone have a gas guage that actually works. I don't think I've ever seen one that actually works.

Registered
Am a little lost......when all done will this engine have points or electronic ignition?
If electronic, ought to replace those components now since there's access - yeah, more parts $$ but save later hassle/headache/work
(and if wait, parts don't seem to be getting easier or cheaper to acquire).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
It's electronic ignition and that's next on the list. I've been wavering back and forth over this because now that I know it's really not that big of a deal to pull the engine.....but the 318 lives 275 miles away from my shop in the spring and summer so that would mean having to haul it to the shop and back.....I think that is the deal maker for my decision.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
If you have a Cummins dealer in your area they own the Onan brand and have a very good price on the Ignition parts
I don't have a local Cummins but I bought my ring gear from Onanparts.com. Looks like $150 is the best I've found on the electronic ignition.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Hey guys, I've decarbonated my combustion areas now and I'm getting ready to reinstall the heads. Should I use sealant with the head gaskets?

41 - 60 of 63 Posts