Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a JD318 that the throttle cable came unattached right at the lever on the dashboard. I have it hooked back on but the end of it has a little hook that sticks out and gets caught on lever bracket now that prevents me from giving more that half throttle.
I am thinking that a piece broke off the end of the cable, it is bent or I don't have it installed correctly. Anyone know where I can get a picture or diagram of how it is suppose to be attached? I can bend the hook out of the end, though not easily where it is located, but I am afraid it will come unattached often then.

We got lot of snow yesterday and of course the throttle broke when I was only half done with the driveway.

·
Registered
203 Posts
"I can bend the hook out of the end, though not easily where it is located, but I am afraid it will come unattached often then."

Lee, definitely do NOT do that! I think Jim's pix should be a big help to you.

(Message edited by tv4fish on December 15, 2005)

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My cable does not look like the diagram, more like the picture, but it has and extra bend in it, maybe my cable is shot. If I attach it like the picture, it pops out rather quickly. I will try and straighten the cable out to see if I can get it to work.
How does one get the lever handle off the lever to be able to remove the lever from the dashboard. Is the something that can be removed and replaced? Or does the plastic handle get cut off?

(Message edited by LeeMn on December 15, 2005)

·
Banned
461 Posts
Lee - I just replaced my throttle (entire assembly) on my 318 this past weekend. Sort of had the same problem you have, and the cable wire itself was broken inside the shroud. So I decided to replace it.

The plastic knob on the lever does not come off. I simply took cut the lever off to get it out. The new once came with a knob that requires a few quick raps to lock it in place. The hardest part was getting my big fingers and hands in behind the dash to access the nuts that hold the lever on. - Dave

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to get the plastic knob off by using a claw end of a hammer and pulling on the hammer...not using leverage for fear of cracking dashboard. Then I was able to straighten the wire out so that it had only one bend not 3!. Hooked her up and was good to go.

Now Santa can make his rounds!

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello.I am pulling my hair out and hoping someone can help.I am helping a relative on his 155c tractor.(25 HP v-twin briggs)The problem is it keeps bending valves.When he brought it to me both intake and exhaust were bent.Lifters seem to be working fine and i can push the valves open and closed and everything seems fine.I put new pushrods in and run tractor fairly hard for 5 to 6 hours and everything was fine.He took it hame and mowed about half of his yard(about 4 hours)shut it off and when he tried to start it again it bent the valves again.I have worked on small engines most of my life and have never ran into anything like this.Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.THANK YOU

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
Stan,
If this is a Briggs engine, I have heard that this is a problem with that series of engines. It's not the commercial Briggs Vanguard, but the entry level engine line.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Stan, I've heard of a lot of the Inteck series engines with that problem, but no personal experience yet. Valves that momentarily stick open would seem to be the likely cause.
Try this link http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lmower/msg031222223360.html
It may give you a clue as to what's happening. Looks like a new head is the "fix" unless you are inclined to dig in and redesign what Briggs should have already done.
Keep us posted too! A lot of owners of these engines will be grateful should the problem arise.

tommyhawk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.