Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I wrote about this- I can't even find my old thread. My Honda repower is at least 3 years old at this point, and mostly trouble free until fall- lots of backfiring, and once it does it loses power. At suggestions, I took off the carb and cleaned it, and it seemed to solve the problem except that once in a while, it would still appear to run on one cyl. If I shut it down for a while, it would start and run fine. That's the background.

Two nights ago it started running weak. I checked and it's only running on one cyl. The cylinder on the oil filter side is not firing. I've checked, and I have spark, and I have compression. I pulled out the carb, cleaned it and blew it out. No change. I'm fresh out of ideas. Anybody got a fresh idea?

I'm glad I saved my Onan- one of these days I'm gonna find someone who rebuilds them...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I solved my own problem!

I've been told repeatedly that the carbs in these are cranky and don;t tolerate dirt. I was resolved to buy a carb today. I've rebuilt truck carbs but was leary about a small Honda, but since I was gonna buy one I figured what the heck... what have i got to lose. So I cracked that sucker all the way open- far less to it than I thought. (I shouldn't have been afraid) I got a can of gumout and blasted every nook and cranny hole and port I could find, five times over. Cleaned that sucker for all it was worth. Put it back together, and bingo- started on both cylinders, went right to max rmp, and actually 100 higher than it's run in two years- right back where i set it when it was new.

A word about Honda Air Cleaners: Junk. (that's the polite term- I'm thinking something else) This plastic hunk of junk has enough gaps and slop in it to let in a tree stump. I was picking grass stems from under the collar. What junk - no wonder they don't tolerate dirt. I'd be almost as well off with a piece of window screen and a rubber band.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Jim,

Glad you got it fixed. I have a 24 Honda in mine as well and love it with no problems so far!! I took my air cleaner housing apart and re-seald it back up myself after seeing some dirt in it from use. I used some of the RTV?? silicone sealant on mine to seal it better and patch up the gaps. I also bought a K&N air filter. Glad you got it running again.

Doug

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Jim & Doug,
I hear the 24hp Honda has cooling issues when installed in the engine compartment. Are you guys running with the side panels installed and have you experienced any over heating issues? I ask because I have a 318 in need of a fresh engine and am looking at my options.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Steve,

I have had mine for over 3 years now and no heating issues. I run the side covers as well. The big thing is to make sure the belly screen and the side screens are clear of debries. I love the Honda. It is smoother, quieter, easier on fuel, and has a lot more power than the Onan did. In about two hours I had the new Honda in the 318 and was up and running again. Nice clean and easy install. If you have any questions please feel free to call me at 309-781-7050 or drop me a line on my email.

Doug

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doug, I was just talking to my brother an hour ago, and told him next time I take it apart, I'm going to seal the parts together with RTV. I've seen tighter tolerances on a tuna sandwich. Do you have the K&N filter number? I've noticed that the OEM filter gasket is loose.

Steve, I've had my moments. There have been some issues that some folks have had. I run with the covers on, but I'm in MA and it's not the hottest climate. I mowed today in 84 degrees. The set up and the layout of the 318 do make it a magnet for dust and debris. I notice it collects on the engine inlet. Figure on blowing it out after every mow if you mow dry and/or dusty. I'm with Doug- other than this problem, which is now licked- it runs great. Some guys have had no problem at all. The kit went in like butter. BUT investigate- there are a lot of threads on the subject, and there is a question about the engine warranty being honored for this use. But it sure is awesome when it's running right!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for the info Doug - Scott I forgot to say this is sounding tempting for my 317, hmm.

As for Honda air filters, I AGREE! They are awesome motors and that is the only flaw I have found. We run 5.5 hp Hondas on hydraulic power units at work and one will fit nice and not leak and the next is junk. As for their carbs, they are not worth rebuilding. If spraying them with carb cleaner doesn't work BUY A NEW CARB! I went to get a needle and seat for my carb and they wanted $41 OR I was able to purchase a new carb for $35. This was from the same store!?!?!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Jim, Doug,
I also put a 24 Honda in my 318 two years ago.

I removed my air cleaner to clean it last weekend.
I didn't found any dust under the filter.
Is the gap problem is between the lower part of the filter box and the carburetor?

Only one problem, I had to replace the spark plugs last year and they still look like #3...
http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html
I had to replace the spark plug on my Honda push mower one month ago and also on my Honda trimmer two weeks ago.
It's not normal, they don't have tree years old.
All of them with the same gas and with the same problem so I decide to stop using 91 octane gas.
I began to use 89 octane since last week and I will check if any improvement.

Steve,
Mine is probably too cold, even with the covers.

Andre

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scooter: I agree. I found new carbs listed for the GX670 (the 24hp) for $80. That's what gave me the guts to rip it apart. So if it ever gets to that, I'll just get a new one.

Andre: There are several gaps- The lower part of the filter box to the carb is fine- there is a rubber gasket in there. But the upper housing just sits on the flange of the lower, and both are plastic. I found all sorts of dirt under there and between them. Also, the OEM filter fit in the upper housing is sloppy. Every time I clean it, there is dust and dirt under it. So I'm going to see if a new filter will fit tighter, and I'll put a bead of RTV where the two housings meet. If I can't get an airtight fit with the filter, I may run a piece of foam around it to give it an extra seal. No real plug problems though, and I run regular- I find it runs much better. Does not like the higher octane.

Jim

·
Banned
1 Posts
Thanks all for the information.

As I write this, my JD dealer is repowering my 1985 420 with a Honda kit from SEW. The Onan B48G had 1,290 hours on it and it was tired, plus the camshaft broke and I couldn't find one anywhere.

I guess when it arrives I'll cut some sheet foam to seal up the air filter rims from the start. Many times when I'm mowing our 5 acres a lot of dust blows up from the blades in dry patches, and I really don't want to deal with Sea Foam again. Anything ELSE I should know about the Honda?

Also, any idea what I should price my B48G for given the hours? Everything was pretty sound until the cam broke, but it was burning some oil (about a quart every 40-50 hours), so it's probably a candidate for a rebuild. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Finally, does anyone know where I can new decals for the hood that read, HonDeere 424?

Regards, Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.