Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help I have a 318 JD and a 33 JD tiller but I'm missing something to make the tiller run.The tiller mounts Ok but what do I need to run the belts or what ever it takes. THANKS TO ALL WHO READ OR CAN HELP
John

·
Banned
38 Posts
I'm sure it can be done, but I think you will have a difficult time fabricating a rear PTO that will work. The 33 was made for the closed frame 140/300 series and to my knowledge JD didn't make the 318 so it could use the 33 and there's no easy way to drive the pulleys on the 33. The older ones have a PTO shaft coming from the hydro pump. I would have posted one but I couldn't find a pic of mine. Are you sure it's a 318? I didn't know a 33 would even mount on a 318. Could it be possible it's a 318 in decal only?
Lynn

·
Registered
388 Posts
John, are you sure you mean a 318 or the 314 that you have in your profile. Maybe a typo. A 33 tiller will not fit on a 318 without modifications.
If it is for your 314 or a closed frame tractor then maybe Kent O. or someone can post a picture from all his literature collection. I'm not exactly sure on how it mounts.

Lowell H.

·
Registered
123 Posts
John I have a 314 and the piece I'll bet you need is the PTO shaft off the back of the Hydro pump. You have to replace the pump cooling fan with 1 that has a splined hole to accept the splined shaft for a PTO Assembly. Got mine from Roy Parker AKA, Georgiadeere Looks like this. Farley

(Message edited by kkortman112 on January 11, 2006)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Hi all.
Found an LX188 locally that a buddy wants to go look at. Is there anything to be aware of and look out for with these?
Any known issues?
Not real familiar with the Kawasaki liquid cooled motors, but Id think they would last longer than the air cooled ones, which last a good long time with good care.

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
Jim,
I don't think there is anything in particular to look out for in these units. The hoods on these are notorious for breaking the hinges, but other than that, they're a good unit. I don't know if these Kawasaki engines had the plastic cam gear issue, but that my be one concern.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Well, he bought it.
Got it for $550.
I told him about this site, so hopefully he will come by and introduce himself.

Had the 48" deck, ran great, had been repainted, but other than a crack in the hood, the deck was nice and straight, as was the fenderpan, except for a small spot on the rear.
Tires tubed, probably leaked due to weather checking/cracking, but all of them had plenty of tread. No slop in the mower deck spindles that I could tell, and it ran quiet.

It did have a few wiring issues, like burnt through from the muffler, easy fix stuff, and one of the valve covers appears to be leaking oil, but those were the only real bad things we saw.

Hopefully nothing else surfaces now that I talked him into it, but if anything does, Im sure I can buy him out....lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.