Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 322 which was running fine just minutes before sitting under a tree (maybe it is a cursed tree) wouldn't start. It would crank but not start.Also the dash lights for oil and battery didn't come on and the electric fuel pump isn't pumping either. Both PTO's (front and rear) are actuating weakly but the dash lights for them are not working. I have checked the safety switch under seat and that is fine and used contact restorer on as many electrical connections as I can find. Any other thougths on what to check? OH and just because the battery was 7 years old I replaced it with no change.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Check 10 amp fuse, this powers lights & fuel pump. Check fuse with meter, they often "look OK" but are not. Bob

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
The 10 amp fuse is not essential for the TDCM to provide power to the ignition if the tractor is still in the cranking enabled condition. Here is what needs to be working correctly to crank the engine:
322 starting circuit.JPG

We know that this is all working because the tractor can be cranked by the starter.

...And here is what is needed to provide spark for the ignition:
322 ignition wiring diagram.JPG

Note the red oval above -- it indicates a signal from the Neutral Start Relay that allows the ignition to be 'hot' even when the seat is not occupied because transistor C bypasses the timer delay block in the TDCM. That #810 wire connects to the Neutral Start Relay where the #811 wire shows in the first excerpt.

To verify the ignition is properly enabled, turn the key to RUN and confirm the presence of 12 volts on the + terminal of any of the coils.

The 10 amp fuse DOES need to be working properly to have the tractor continue running when the PTO is turned on OR the ground speed lever is moved out of the neutral slot OR the parking brake is released (and then only if the operator is in the seat and the seat switch is closed...)

Once you confirm spark is enabled, we can continue to suggest troubleshooting methods to further diagnose the issue.

Chuck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 10 amp fuse is not essential for the TDCM to provide power to the ignition if the tractor is still in the cranking enabled condition. Here is what needs to be working correctly to crank the engine:
View attachment 258442

We know that this is all working because the tractor can be cranked by the starter.

...And here is what is needed to provide spark for the ignition:
View attachment 258443

Note the red oval above -- it indicates a signal from the Neutral Start Relay that allows the ignition to be 'hot' even when the seat is not occupied because transistor C bypasses the timer delay block in the TDCM. That #810 wire connects to the Neutral Start Relay where the #811 wire shows in the first excerpt.

To verify the ignition is properly enabled, turn the key to RUN and confirm the presence of 12 volts on the + terminal of any of the coils.

The 10 amp fuse DOES need to be working properly to have the tractor continue running when the PTO is turned on OR the ground speed lever is moved out of the neutral slot OR the parking brake is released (and then only if the operator is in the seat and the seat switch is closed...)

Once you confirm spark is enabled, we can continue to suggest troubleshooting methods to further diagnose the issue.

Chuck
Thank you all, I did just check the 10 amp fuse and it was in fact bad so I swapped it out and the tractor ran. Electrical systems are hard for me to follow so thank you for keeping it simple.
Have a better day,
Chris

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Chuck, Looking at the complete schematic for the 322, the F2 fuse powers the fuel pump as well as some instrumentation lights, so I figured no fuel pump, no run! Bob

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Bob,

Yes the lack of fuel was the issue for sure... I did not pick up on the first post saying the fuel pump was not running. Clearly an oversight on my part. :(

My post was to show a way to definitively check for the spark not being inhibited. Guess I jumped to the ignition component of the "spark, fuel, compression" trio that JDF questioned in post #3 of this thread without focusing on the more obvious fuel issue. My error...and when I said
"The 10 amp fuse DOES need to be working properly to have the tractor continue running when the PTO is turned on OR the ground speed lever is moved out of the neutral slot OR the parking brake is released (and then only if the operator is in the seat and the seat switch is closed...) "
...I clearly ommitted that the 10 amp fuse is also needed in a 322 tractor to power the fuel pump.

Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts