Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a shedded 322 with 1300 hours on it. it produces 16.9 volts at battery when running. i replaced the alternator once and the voltage regulator twice and the fuel pump 4 times...it was overcooked. the alternator was spected at 14.5 volts at factory. everything works fine untill after about 4 hours the voltage when running, is 16.9 at the battery and the fuel pump quits as it is cooked and the wiring harness connector from the
voltage regulator is melted at this point ....i cant figure out what to fix....any thoughts

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Bill,

The overcharging issue with the 322 is from a badly sensed voltage at the regulator when it tries to determine the battery terminal voltage...it does this through the sense lead which is the upper right terminal at regulator connector X16 and is the #530 green wire as shown in teh below wiring diagram. Over the decades, the key switch contacts, the fuse and fuse holder, the harness splices and the wires themselves can age enough to have a higher resistance which causes a voltage drop at the regulator relative to the actual battery voltage, so the regulator puts out even more voltage...hence the overcharge.
Charging circuit 322 & 332.jpg

Deere put out a bulletin noting this condition and recommends a relay be added to more directly sense the battery voltage -- see the attached.

Here is a page from that bulletin showing the relay details.
battery boil relay install.jpg

I would replace your ignition switch, and also install the relay per the bulletin. Of course, repair/replace any damaged wiring and connectors you have as well...

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow wow wow thanks from stevenstown wis.. i got this tractor from a neighbor who did not admit anything was wrong,,,i am a DIY guy, so i started investigating 3 years ago and the local JD dealer in west salem was no help,, i did check the ignition switch and it seemed OK , put new batt in and cleaned cables but no one said anything about all the above. now I have a place to go i am 80 years old and not used to giving up hi hi...Thanks for all the help. My wife wanted me to get rid of the machine but I put a blade on front , 3 PT in back with a carry all and 26 12 12 tires [ag] and it does snow great,,,now maybe I can get it squared away. wHEN I REPLACED THE ALTERNATOR LAST SUMMER AND FOUND THE MELTED Connectors from the VR I was Really alarmed,,,,..so thanks so very very much... Bill in Stevenstown WIS. 73...

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Great Bill !!

That 322 is one of the most desirable garden tractors of that era, and definitely worth putting straight and keeping. I am 75+ myself and these little machines make great hobbies to tinker on, plus you get to use them for real work. I made a center blade and a rear landscape rake for my 322 tractors, plus had rear tiller, a front Johnny Bucket SR and a front blade, etc. Here is a picture of my two machines with mower deck and center blade:
non-identical twins 1.jpg

There are lots of folks on this forum with a ton of knowledge on these machines. Do you have the manuals? Below is the parts catalog to get you started... What year is your tractor? Look at the first page of the PC to match your serial number to the ranges listed for each year.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi Bill, you have a great tractor. Good to hear your getting the over charge repaired. I had the same happen last fall on my 332. I put the relay in to provide " clean voltage" to the regulator, but still had an issue. My regulator had melted and I didnt remove it to check it at first. The epoxy had melted....

Put a new regulator in and normal charging again. My plugs were all melted also. I replaced the terminal ends and heat shrinked the wires.

If you want the factory plugs they are available.
The part numbers are in a thread on here, which I cant find right now.

The other thing I can think of is the PTO clutch. Cause you state after running 4 hours. Maybe the clutch windings are causing it when they get hot.

Reactions: hel2002002yahoocom

·
Registered
686 Posts
Bill, I found the numbers for the connectors.
But they arent cheap, lol.
If your interested.
Here ya go,

Electrical Repair Kit - KIT, ALTERNATOR CONNECTOR-

Quick Coupler - COUPLER-M800121

Regulator Kit - KIT, 5-PIN REGULATOR CONNECTOR-AM108849

·
Registered
686 Posts
Skwirl - nice job you did on those electrical connections! Tom
Thanks Tom,
That was the 1st time, lol.
Had to replace the vr then. Got to do it all over again, lol.
I would have liked to buy the new connectors, but the new vr took all my lunch money for the week.
It's on the repair list though, although at the bottom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts