Registered
5,003 Posts
don't let wife drive it as she will hit a root

Don't try to run over steel

Don't try to run over hot coals

·
Super Moderator
4,068 Posts
I ran over re-bar laying on ground. Just killed my engine. Backed up and went around re-bar as half of it was in the ground.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
What troubleshooting have you done? Need more info! Tractor runs right, Does tractor stall when PTO turned on, Does PTO pull in and spin when turned on, Check fuses maybe popped fuse (current draw), Check PTO switch it may have gone bad due to excess current flow. You may have to pull the PTO finally look at key and shaft.

·
Premium Member
8,980 Posts
Take the tiller off or at least take the dual belt drive off the rear pulleys...does the top double sheave pulley still not turn when you flip the switch?

If it turns, look for a jammed tiller tine-shaft, motor or pump -- if it does not turn, first check the air gap and adjust if necessary as seen below:
Text Auto part

Of course, all the presumes that you have a rear drive and not the belly pump version -- if it's the latter you still can remove the belt to test, and adjust the front air gap if needed.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
4,068 Posts
Do you have a manual for the 322 or at least the wiring diagram? I only have it for the 318,420's. It would help as you begin to check the path of the 12 volts which goes through several points before it reaches the electric clutch? Since the tractor runs and you don' have the PTO running, then it is logical something is stopping it. Another thing stopping the PTO from engaging would be the air gap. Check it and reset it to .018 or 18 thousands of an inch. On my loader tractor I had it wear down enough that the PTO would turn off as it warmed up.

I am not clear on what implement you are using on your 322.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,980 Posts
Doug, It sounds like John is using a 30 hydraulic tiller, as that is the tiller for open frame tractors that utilizes the electric PTO clutch/brake. There are two versions of this tiller -- one runs off the front PTO with a belly moungted pump where the mowing deck goes, and the other uses a rear PTO driving a belt driven pump on the rear of the tractor.

Here is the detail from the 322 manual (the TM1591) about the wiring of the two PTO assemblies and their switches:

Text Technical drawing Drawing Diagram Floor plan

The description is pretty much the same as for the 318 tractors -- as is the air gap adjustment specification.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
8,980 Posts
John,

Regarding your original post, can you verify if your encounter with a root was while using your mowing deck or with a tiller (and if the latter if the PTO now failing to engage is the rear or the front one.) In all three of these possibilities, the most likely cause is the air gap being too great, and adjusting it down to 0.018 inches is the place to start.

A much less likely cause would be a failure of the PTO itself -- if no fuse is getting blown, then the winding on the PTO might be open (the fuse would blow if the winding is shorted...) A normal PTO winding should measure somewhere around 3.4 to 4.9 ohms. Of course, there might also be a fault (open) in the wiring someplace along the harness described in the earlier diagrams posted above. Does the dash lamp light when the PTO switch is on??

Chuck

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I am confused. Is this front or rear PTO and with what? Either way Chuck has the information that will help solve it. I would bet if nothing appears broken then it is air gap. You should hear with the key on engine not running the clutch pull in and out as you move the PTO switch.

·
Premium Member
8,980 Posts
John,

We posted the wiring earlier in this thread but here is a simplified excerpt more specific to a front PTO only configuration on a 322.

Text Diagram Technical drawing Drawing Line

Note that the lamp and the PTO winding are wired in parallel and switched at the same time. If the dash lamp is not burned out, and it still does not come on when the PTO switch is turned on, then there is no voltage at the #790 blue wire from the TDCM terminal X13 pin 4 to the PTO switch. Possible reasons for this could be a bad F2 10 amp fuse or its holder, or a failed seat switch or an open in its wiring harness leading up to X14 pin 9. If there is no voltage on pin 9 then the time delay module inside the TDCM will switch the relay contacts D off and disable the PTO. Use your volt meter to verify the voltages at these points. Test these things and let us know...

Chuck

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
John,

We posted the wiring earlier in this thread but here is a simplified excerpt more specific to a front PTO only configuration on a
Note that the lamp and the PTO winding are wired in parallel and switched at the same time. If the dash lamp is not burned out, and it still does not come on when the PTO switch is turned on, then there is no voltage at the #790 blue wire from the TDCM terminal X13 pin 4 to the PTO switch. Possible reasons for this could be a bad F2 10 amp fuse or its holder, or a failed seat switch or an open in its wiring harness leading up to X14 pin 9. If there is no voltage on pin 9 then the time delay module inside the TDCM will switch the relay contacts D off and disable the PTO. Use your volt meter to verify the voltages at these points. Test these things and let us know...

Chuck
just realized my pto light does go on... when switched

1 - 20 of 23 Posts