Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I dont think so.
Remove the hyd lines and you should have enough room.

Reactions: ChrisH322

·
Registered
844 Posts
Congratulations Chris. Glad you were able to get it all disconnected and out of the machine. Based on the buildup of oil and dirt, it looks like it has been leaking for quite a while. Don't be afraid to try and rebuild it. The most tedious part is getting the sections with the springs back together. Study the parts list and the pictures and detailed procedure in the Toasty link. The seal where the tube connects to the square laminated section is the most likely cause of the leak coming up the top of the tube.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
He is referring to post #3 with the link to repair.

·
Registered
In my garage: 2020/1025R TLB; Two 455's; 1988 - 322; 1974-140h3;
46 Posts
I found my notes and receipts. The John Deere service manual for your tractor has a section on rebuilding the steering unit. You can also do a search for the Parker Hydraulics Hydraguide Hydrostatic Steering System HGF Service Procedure and download it. It's their Service Manual 2753

The John Deere Steering Control Unit Seal Kit I used was part no. AM107078 and cost $93.34 in July 2020. It included the seals needed to completely rebuild and it also included an exploded view of the steering unit with these suppler details. The supplier is QCC, LLC. 9501 Winona Avenue, Schiller Park, IL 60176 Ph (708) 887-6268. In talking to a customer support technician at QCC, he told me they rebuild the units and I believe the price at that time was $75.00 for labor and testing plus the cost of whatever parts would be needed in the repair plus freight.

If you need the bushing at the top of the steering tube under your steering wheel, I used John Deere Steering Shaft Bearing Kit, part no. AM107081 and it cost $13.90 in July 2020. The kit came with 3 bushings and I used the one that fit my steering column.

Both times I rebuilt units, I set up a designated area to do the repair and I hung plastic sheeting from floor to ceiling to make a clean room as well as provide a barrier wall to catch springs that tend to fly out on dissassembly and reassembly. I completely rebuilt both units with all new seals and the second unit I rebuilt needed new springs because the old ones appeared worn and were difficult to hold in place during reassembly. I have heard of some people only replacing the seal located where the steering tube connects to the Hydraguide unit so they do not have to take apart the difficult sections, however, with all the time it takes to remove and install the unit from the tractor, I was not going to take any shortcuts in the rebuild.

For the less adventurous, the $75.00 fee from QCC to rebuild and bench test seems to be a very good option.
Awesome information Mike! normally I'd do the work rebuilding myself but checking out that QCC place to see turn around time and if still $75... worth it to me to avoid doing something slightly wrong only to rip it all apart again. They do it for living. I'd do it for hobby but time is limited. Luckily I got 4 other Deere for work but I'll miss the 322 while its out of commission. I'm surprised for a low 500hr machine this happened but at almost 35yrs old, I imagine the gaskets didn't get exercised enough. I put almost 70hrs on it myself in past 3yrs owning it though. Starting to think too that the "harley" drip as I call it under the machine in that area was a sign of impending failure. KG

·
Registered
107 Posts
Awesome information Mike! normally I'd do the work rebuilding myself but checking out that QCC place to see turn around time and if still $75... worth it to me to avoid doing something slightly wrong only to rip it all apart again. They do it for living. I'd do it for hobby but time is limited. Luckily I got 4 other Deere for work but I'll miss the 322 while its out of commission. I'm surprised for a low 500hr machine this happened but at almost 35yrs old, I imagine the gaskets didn't get exercised enough. I put almost 70hrs on it myself in past 3yrs owning it though. Starting to think too that the "harley" drip as I call it under the machine in that area was a sign of impending failure. KG

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 322, power steering works with engine running, I have no steering when engine is off, steering wheel just spins, no oil going to cylinder, any Ideas
I guess I never tried to turn it much when off but I know as of right now mine does same thing but even when was off and warm, the hyd fluid would come out from under the steering wheel and just spin too. Since I never heard back from that FIB company recommended above, I'm tearing into it tonight and hoping to have repaired this weekend. Estimate from local JD dealer was about $1200 in labor so that motivates me to turn wrenches myself. I got a seal kit off Amzn and reseller Hartville Hardware who actually overnight-ed for free the kit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I guess I never tried to turn it much when off but I know as of right now mine does same thing but even when was off and warm, the hyd fluid would come out from under the steering wheel and just spin too. Since I never heard back from that FIB company recommended above, I'm tearing into it tonight and hoping to have repaired this weekend. Estimate from local JD dealer was about $1200 in labor so that motivates me to turn wrenches myself. I got a seal kit off Amzn and reseller Hartville Hardware who actually overnight-ed for free the kit.
[*
I actually double checked and I can turn my wheels with the power off then again mine stopped leaking but it could be just a swelled gasket temporarily.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Took my tractor apart last week. Steering valve is ready to be removed. I'm hoping to pick up a good used one this afternoon. Then swap them tomorrow. It's not to difficult to get at, a few bolts here and there and waalah, it's out. Lol.
I'll snap a pic and add it then.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Took my tractor apart last week. Steering valve is ready to be removed. I'm hoping to pick up a good used one this afternoon. Then swap them tomorrow. It's not to difficult to get at, a few bolts here and there and waalah, it's out. Lol.
I'll snap a pic and add it then.
Are you working on a 322 or other? How long you figure it took to tear down to point u are at? I started eyeing it up with steering wheel and side panels off and many more bolts to go including radiator. Looks pretty grimey at steering column mount. Even though I don't need to, I'll take fender pan off since I been wanting to upgrade the steering hoses I got from Aux Hydraulics. I'll get the low hanging fruit out of the way and build more confidence in tearing it down further.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts