Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tractor came off the trailer while going 25 to 30 mph. My bad, poor strapping. Any ways it rolled for quite w distance and seemed to be free wheeling. When it came to a stop, after traveling about 30 yards. The transaxle is locked up. So would it be the hydro pump or the rear end? Would they be junk, or repairable?
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
956 Posts
Going to guess the differential is probably toast (seeing as just towing without unlocking the drive motor can break them), potentially the hydraulic motor and a chance of the pumps.
Probably the best bet is find a transmission assembly from a part machine to replace (and check the entire machine over for cracks/breaks)
The best way to tell would be to crack it open and see the damage though.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Yeah, ditto. Unless you just like the mess that goes with autopsies, pull the rear end out and replace it. I know it's possible to put a 2-speed rear end in the 318 and others, from the 400-series tractors, but don't know if this is do-able with the 322. Might take some fender pan modification for a couple of knobs...range selector, rear-end lock...like on a 430.

·
Registered
1989 318
611 Posts
Funny (or not funny) you should post this because I just returned from picking up an early 70's 110 and I did not have a tailgate on my trailer (long story) so I just had the tractor tied back with some ropes, it was only a 30-mile trip so I kept an eye on the beast the entire way. All the while I was thinking "so what will I do if it comes off the trailer?"
"

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you need a donor differential assembly (no axles, no pump), I've got one out of my 332 when I did the 2-speed/locker swap. It's been sitting on the floor for 2 years though. You're welcome to it for the cost of shipping.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
I am pretty sure he needs the hydro pump. He isn't the only one to do this and the ones I have heard about have the hydro in pieces. Always the drive side is damaged as it is connected to rear wheels and suffers from no oil being supplied as tractor isn't running.

·
Registered
110, 111
97 Posts
I'm going to guess that you shredded the motor assembly on the hydro pump. They really do not like rolling long distances at a high speed. I personally rebuilt a tractor that suffered similar damage in the past, and ended up replacing the whole pump as it isn't really worth it to repair a failed one.

I suspect that best case scenario, you'd pull the hydro unit apart and find something like this for the motor. Again, best case scenario. Sometimes, the whole slipper assemblies come out of the pump block and then break through the aluminum wall of the case!
IMG_20210218_191804.jpg
IMG_20201005_161517.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you need a donor differential assembly (no axles, no pump), I've got one out of my 332 when I did the 2-speed/locker swap. It's been sitting on the floor for 2 years though. You're welcome to it for the cost of shipping.
Where are you located.?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Southeast Michigan. An hour ish north west of Detroit.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Knockknock, WHICH pump is missing from 322 hydro? Thinking titusb will be needing hydro motor, but cylinder & pistons can be removed...ONLY as a complete unit... and interchanged. The only difference between the pump and motor is the swash plate... pump is movable, motor is fixed. If hydro motor & hydro pump is available, it'll be a worth while trip or shipping for titusb. Bob

·
Registered
290 Posts
I meant that I have just the differential. No part of the pump or transmission. I've seen mixed usages of the lingo and naming conventions so I was trying to not be confusing... Peerless 2600 trabsaxle if I'm not mistaken.

Google image of one below.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Never having taken one apart, and not having my 322 hydro in front of me, I can't say 100% that this is what titusb needs... but I don't think so. I'm just trying to save him a trip or $$ for something he may not...or may!... need. Thanks for offering. Bob

Reactions: knockknock332

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
The differential is likely not damaged -- but the pump parts in the transmission are what gets trashed when dropped off a moving trailer or towed a distance. See the below:
Deere-burger candidates in damaged hydro.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
110, 111
97 Posts
here's what those parts look like (undamaged) when you open one up:

IMG_20210218_191732.jpg
IMG_20210218_191704.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
And that would work in my 322? Not sure what it would cost to ship to western NY 14060. A long drive but may be worth it
Just swap the axles from yours. 6 bolts each side. You can see the bolts in this picture with the axles removed.
20210410_115303.jpg

added a picture. wheels and tires don't go with it just on to ease moving around.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts