4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its project time on John's tractor

Here is the new to him 2 speed tranny.

Here is the backend after powerwashing it

Must remember how these go back on

These were fun to take off

Nekked time

My frame stand out of 2x8's, yes the white line on the right of the stand is plywood connecting both sides with lots of nails in it. Very sturdy.

This is a fun project so far.
Tonight I will swap the tranny out and start on the brackets and drilling.

(Message edited by knottyrope on August 29, 2008)

(Message edited by knottyrope on August 29, 2008)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Freddy

I just did the same thing on my 332.
I was half way through before I realized "I should have taken pictures and started a thread".
I am glad you are doing a detailed thread.
We will have documentation now for those in the future.
I was able to get help from a couple members who have done it.
If you have any questions there are several folks who can help.
Mine has the fender deck off now if you need any pictures.
Looks like you are on the right track though.

AJ

·
Banned
14 Posts
Has anyone transplanted the power steering from a 318 or 332 into a 400? The 400 steering works o k but I sure like the 300 series better. Turns sharper and much more responsive.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I did the swap into my 332 3 years ago - get back with me if you need any help or info. I swapped the entire rear axle including the axle shafts/housings/brakes and 10.5" wide 420/430 rear rims

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Freddy - any updates? I am following your thread with a lot of interest (considering it too). Your pic's and commentary are an excellent documentation of this project.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is out now, that was fun.

Just the tranny and axles

Axles halves off

All in pieces

Put it all together last night added oil and new filter and tested it out.

I also replaces the brake return springs, now they return better.

Next is to rid the creep, mod the frame and pan for the new controls.

IF any one has pics of the controls mounted it would be nice.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Better pic of brake spring

Did some cutting, wish my compressor was not so small took me 2 hours for this.

Looks like its getting some where

(Message edited by knottyrope on September 09, 2008)

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just so ya know what model it is, i know over kill but hey I posted it any ways.

(Message edited by knottyrope on September 09, 2008)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have all the parts to do this mod on my 332, just no time. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mounted brackets

Rear bracket using a existing hole

All mounted and tested

not bad at connecting it up

Had to bend the ends to make it all fit

nother shot of the bends loneger one is like an s

Posi lever was fun to bend to get it to fit right

two speed shifter

All the hard work done. Time for a beer or 3

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I hope John likes it.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Its interesting that a lot of these swaps seem to be in 332. Thats what I did mine on. I love it. Nice high gear for plowing snow on long straights and general transport and a low lugging gear for pushing snow on piles and pulling a moldboard plow.

Diff lock is very handy as welll.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a 420 with thrower and love the diff lock.
My 430 is for mowing and dont use the diff lock much.

John has a thrower and cozy cab for the 332 and will love the diff lock this winter with his slanted driveway.

·
Registered
418 Posts
David--
yes, it will work with a 330 same as with a 316 Onan, 318, 322, 332.

The 2-speed with diff lock came from the 420 and 430. The 400 series had longer axles than the 300 series, so most people swap the axles to keep their original width.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Jay, Freddy has my 332 and my 140. He originally started out to put a new seat on my 140 and do work on that one. Then the 332 reared its head for sale with a blower, tiller, and the cozy cab. It was for sale close enough for Freddy to come with me to help me decide if it was worth his asking price. To say I am thrilled with the work Freddy has done to the 332 is a understatement. The 2-speed rear end differential with the lock up looks like it came that way from the factory. That differential lock will be a huge help when using the front end loader on the 332. The home I am looking to buy in ME has 2.5 acres. Freddy is right about the snow blowing on my steep driveway. The diff lock will be a huge help on my steep driveway in MA this winter. Thanks Freddy! John

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been following this thread and it is great to see all the info. I went back and read an old posting on the different cases with different gear sizes and there was also some info on just the diff lock. Has anyone done just the diff lock yet? I was thinking about doing something like that to my 322. I am not sure if I want to cut the frame to do the install of the two speed. I know that you are supposed to weld the plate in or something like that. I do not do any ground plowing but I thought it would be nice to have diff lock for snow plowing. Would it be worth adding diff lock without adding the two speed or would it be more complex to do without adding the two speed? I like my 322 and it is a plenty big enough tractor for me. I keep getting attachments for it. I have bought all my attachments off forum members. I first bought a 3 point, 54” blade, X495 wheels and, tires, 47” two stage snow blower and AZ front weight bracket, brush guard, draw bar with lifting forks. I keep looking for weights and a few other goodies. I really like my little 322 and thanks to this forum I have done a full maintenance on it.
Thanks for all the help

Nelson

1 - 20 of 38 Posts