Weekend Freedom Machines banner

332 Alternator bolt question

965 views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  discobrian24 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the size of the 2 bolts that bolt the alternator to the bracket? 1 broke off and we have to get it out and replace it. I am assuming its metric as I have tried a few different standard ones I have laying around and they don't fit.

#2 ·
Metric is about all I can tell you. I would think the dealer could help you out with that. I do find the bolts oxide in near the alternator on these and can be a bear to remove.

#3 ·
I guess the other option would be to drill and use nut and bolt too but won't know til we dig into it. Looks like there is enough room if I remove the exhaust to get in there with a right angle drill and drill the bolt and use an easy out. All I care about is not breaking the ear off on the bottom. Thanks Travis.

#4 ·
Trying to get out-weld. Tig if you have it works almost the best from one of the help video's I watched since you are just adding heat to a small area and not adding material (weld stick) until you want. But you can still weld mig/arc. Just might take a couple times to get the heat needed to break it. Or-just torch the bolt part hot. Is it broke flush or recessed into the hole?

#5 ·
A 12mm head should be a 8mm thread size.
A 14mm head should be a 10mm thread size,if I remember right.

AJ

#8 ·
I noticed on another thread in the archives about some spacer that is supposed to go behind the fan on the water pump. I see no reference to this spacer on JD parts. I have mine in pieces just got done replacing the belt and put drive shaft back together.. There was no spacer behind the fan when I took it off.. The archived post said that the belt will squeal without this spacer???

#9 ·
If the belt is aligned and tight-no squeal. I can't remember if there is a spacer-but I didn't touch the fan/waterpump-just the alternator.

#10 ·
I just picked up a 92 322 in pieces.
There IS a spacer with all the parts I got with it.
I installed said spacer and it is working fine.

AJ

#13 ·
Brian,

The spacer is clearly shown in PC2149 for the 322 version of this Yanmar engine on the page with the fan and water pump -- it is item #24 and the part number is M802003 (it is called a 'hub' in the parts breakdown...) Deere sells this new for $22.07 and GreenFarmParts.com on line has it for $17.99 on their site.

The spacer/hub is used on other Deere machines with similar Yanmar engine/water pump/fan configurations such as the 655, 755, 756, 855 and 856 Compact Utility Tractors and the F1145 front mower.

I will send you a PDF of the PC2149 so it will be easier for you to search for parts than using the on-line version on the JDParts site...plus you can readily print the illustrations. Many of the parts are the same on the 322 and 332 tractors.

Chuck

#16 ·
NOTE, I have a 332 not a 322, yes there is a
spacer shown on the 322 that goes between the pulley and fan, I saw this and it seems to have nothing to do with the 332. I guess I am confused as some say there is a spacer that goes on the shaft between the pulley and the hub. This is what I am confused about.

#17 ·
Brian,

Yes, I know that your tractor is the diesel version, not the 322 like I have -- just wanted to share the info that is common to both (the PC2149 covers the frame, body panels, driveline, wheels, etc. in addition to the gas Yanmar engine)

I saw that the 332 parts catalog did not show this spacer, and of course the fan itself is listed as a different part number (M89184 versus the M802453 shown for the 322...) so perhaps that is part of the reason no spacer hub is shown/needed.

Usually the squeal relating to the fan is from the blade *TIPS* touching the shroud, and that is often caused by sagging motor mounts at that end of the engine. Do the tips of your fan blades look like they are getting abraded by the metal shroud?

If the squeal is from a misalignment of the drive and driven pulleys (in other words the belt is not running in a single plane...) you should be able to see any such offset that would be significant enough to cause a rubber squeak. The hub used on the 322 is about as thick as the belt itself, so if the pulley needed such a spacer the alignment would be obviously wrong...but that would imply the spacer would need to go between the pulley and the pump hub, not between the pulley and the fan.

Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.