Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic of my new 332. 1650 hrs Previous history unknown. Overheated after running for 5 minutes. opened up the radiator and its scaled up like Jess pic on his thread. Minimum I know I have to do is get the radiator boiled out. I am more concerned with blowby. Could this be a bad head gasket? As you can see It has a serious case of blowby.

I'm scared that I'll have to rebuild it and I don't have that kind of money right now. It runs fine otherwise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That looks excessive It is hard to tell by pictures but some of the blow by may be coolant in the oil but I could be wrong. one good way to tell what is going on is to have an oil sample done. If you have an oil company or medium heavy truck dealer or engine repair center near you that can annalize your sample or know where you could get it done. If it is just from worn rings you can run it for a while like it is but if there is coolant in the oil you had better get it fixed soon. It doesn't take long for coolant to destroy the bearings and cause major damage.

Hope I didnt scare you to bad.

Cliff N

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If you have access to a radiator pressure pump that should tell you if the head gasket is leaking anti-freeze. Most mechanics will have one. Cliff is right, though. Don't run it if there is antifreeze in the oil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I took you advise and I drained the oil and refilled with fresh oil. 15-w40 diesel rated oil and started it up. Still alot of blowby. I ran it with the deck for an hour and it seems to have good power but I don't have anything to benchmark it though. I took off the cam cover off to sneak a peak and there is just a baffle in there and nothing else to slow down the flow. I think there is something wrong inside. I fear its pistons/rings/cylinder problems. I wouldn't fear opening it up but I don't have any gauges to mic things up. Not that I could afford to rebuild right now anyway. Mike if your reading this ( or any other Yanmar experts out there) if you would like to add $.02 I'm all ears.
thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dan:

Something else to look for to see if it's the head gasket or not. Look at the inside of either one of the oil filler caps or the valve cover and look for a white film. That's an indicator that you've got water/antifreeze in the oil.

Next, did it use any oil while you were running it?

To see if you've got ring/piston problems, try doing a compression check.

Pulling the head and replacing the head gasket isn't too bad. I had to do that to my first 332.

Finally if you've got the tools, a yanmar ring job isn't too bad. Besides since Mike S. has been tardy on getting his 330 running again, us fellow yanmar junkies need more pictures from somebody else's engine insides.

rick n.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Fellas, Fellas, Fellas...

I plan on some serious time spent with my Yanmar rebuild over the next couple of days...FINALLY!

Pics to come on the other dedicated post.

You're right Dan- Lot's of blowby. I think too much. Something is pressurizing the crankcase; either a bad headgasket or weak piston rings. I'd be curious how it performed doing a compression check.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Mike

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Dan,
After the tractor has set for a few hours, loosen the drain plug until oil drips out. Let it drip into a clean container until about an ounce or two has drained. If there is anti-freeze in the oil, it should show up.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Are you still having trouble with your 332 overheating? I too for a couple years fought with my 332 overheating, tried everything,boiled radiator twice, pressure tested, new filters, everything. my desperation is on this forum. The JD dealer and a radiator shop did not want to recoil because the radiator from the outside looked good and pressure tested ok. I also was told about possible head gasket problems Finally common sense prevailed and I bought a new radiator 310.00. . Everything is great and I have my life back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well every one, here's an update. (thanks for the encouragement)
I didn't have the right adapters for doing a compression test so I broke down and started taking her apart. It looks like I'm going to rebuild the motor. I have it tore apart and the cylinders are very glazed and there is a good size ridge on top of the bores. I'm trying to find some one local who can hone the bore for me. I can put it back together its just the boring/honing I'd leave to the professionals.

The overheating is partly due to a plugged radiator. After I drained the system there is white junk all over inside. That and I spent 1 1/2 hours straightening out the fins. I plan to get it boiled out. Right now school is starting so progress will probably be slow for awhile..

·
Banned
14 Posts
Hey guys,
When the machine is running, take the oil cap off, and if you have "steam" or smoke coming out that is blowby. Does the exhaust smell kinda sweet? Or rich in fuel? you could have a dirty injector, or bad injection pump. I would also check the glowplugs, and make sure all 3 are heating up. Just my 2¢ worth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hood on my LX279 is split about 6 in. in center rear of hood. Is there a known repair technique to fix this? I did some searching but could only find lots of advise re: fiberglass repair. Please advise or point me in the right direction. YIA Ken B

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ken--I have had some limited success repairing broken hoods with JB Weld. I haave used a piece of sheet metal or mending plate to reinforce the weld, but it is painful. Since the JB Weld will run downhill, you have to try to position the piece you are repairing just so. I have tried the quick setting JB Weld, but it set up before I could get it mixed. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Ken the type of plastic used can't be plastic welded and I have yet to hear of any glue that works well on it. It definitely isn't as easy to do as fiberglass hoods were. My friend has a 345 hood that looks good from 20 feet away but probably has 50 pop rivets and aluminum backing holding it together. If you want it to look factory you buy a new hood. Roger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.