Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys, I went to a dealer and asked for the award for getting the read drums off. They said they did not have them there. Does any one know where I get this award. Ha Ha. The hardest job I have ever done!

It took a 9 days.

Nothing seemed to be wrong with the brakes or shoes, but now I can engage the emergency brake. I have an issue with the hydro lever going forward and backwards. It was slow before, and now it is even slower. I still have it up on blocks, and have to adjust the brakes.

What cause all this was I jammed the brakes on hard and the hydro lever never would go all the way forward or reverse. I read lots of posts and the only thing a saw was that maybe the brakes were causing the problem. (I checked all the linkages and they all looked fine)

Any advice?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I understand your pain. I destroyed the hub puller screw trying to get the right drum off my tractor. The left side was a problem, but was much easier.

I am assuming that you also have hydro creep when the lever is in the neutral slot too. If this is your issue as well, look closely for wear just forward and inside of where the hydro hand lever linkage is located back (it is a bear to get to without taking the right radiator support panel off) to the hydro lever on the hydro. There has been several versions of the linkage back to the hydro lever on the hydro. Take a look at the parts catalog to identify which type you have on your tractor. Any pivot point or linkage can have wear associated with it on a tractor that old (as mine did). Any wear or slop in the linkage needs to be corrected first.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you 332 Guy,

Well, I finally found the problem. Last summer when I pushed the brakes hard, they stayed down and did not fully return to normal position. I did not notice that at the time. My guess is that rust and lack of grease held them down. When I took of the Brake drums, everything was ok, When adjusting the brakes I noticed that the break petal was not springing back. So I pulled it with my hand and it came back. I then could move the hydro lever fully in forward and reverse. I lubed up all the shafts and by moving the petals they freed up and spring back.

I put the whole thing together and took it for a spin. It runs full speed ahead and back. In the 4 years I have had this machine, it has never run that fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts