Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I apologize if this has been covered somewhere, but any help would be appreciated. I just restored my 332, it was a basket case when I got it, did the engine, painting, body, etc. and I'm sure this was most likely an issue for the previous owner as well as he had converted the charging system to a Kubota alternator instead of the stator/regulator setup and removed the side panels. Anyhow, I've got it set back up as factory, and this thing drains the new battery only when you are running the engine. It sits for weeks and weeks, always fires up fine, but if you run it for a while the battery is dead. It won't ever shut the fuel solenoid off, always runs the (new) fuel pump, but if you shut it off, it will barely turn the engine over. I have 13.6v with the engine running at full throttle, 12.4 with key first on and glow plugs cycling, 12.7 with glow plugs off (confirmed plugs are not staying on with test light), 13.2 at idle. I would think it's charging fine? How does it drain a battery in 15 minutes when it's running when it's got enough juice to run the pump, solenoid, and PTO clutch?

· Registered
940 Posts
You are correct. The 332 charging system has been discussed in various posts and someone with deep 332 knowledge will be on to offer some advice.
In the meantime, a little more info will help them to better diagnose.
1. You mention a "new" battery. I assume that means a brand new battery sized appropriately for the machine? If it is not brand new, has it ever been load tested to verify its condition?
2. How do the connections look at the voltage regulator - Do any of the wires or connectors look scorched or distorted from excessive heat?
3. Does your tractor have the add-on charging system relay that has been mentioned in various 332 charging posts?
4. When you measured voltage, was that at the battery posts?
5. Did you measure the "sense" voltage wire at the voltage regulator?
6. Did you measure battery voltage with the pto engaged?
7. Battery cable connections are clean and cables don't appear corroded?
8. Have you measured battery voltage after running and it goes "dead"?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help and the reply! I fixed it, green wire from regulator had broken, I fixed that and did the relay mod for said wire to regulator, it charges awesome now, doesn't drain batteries at all. I also did a relay setup for the headlights, converted them to LED and built a new wiring harness for that up there too. Tractor works awesome. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts