Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it have to be? and what kind? I'm tearing down my new to me 332 and when I took the tank off, I emptied the fuel and found the strainer, some black pieces of hose. the big corregated hose from a gas can in there and a GOLF BALL. I was like what else is good in there!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Matt,

I'm doing the same thing with my 332 now as well. I drained the old fuel, and put a little fresh fuel in, sort of shook it up and drained it again. From what I could see there was still some sludge in the tank (mine sat for quite a while). The old fuel was really nasty when I drained it.

Is there something I can put in the tank to get the sludge out, or just make sure the fuel filter is clean, and change it often?

Mark V.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can put a little carb cleaner or other solvent(test on plastic outside with a cloth first to make sure it doesn't melt the plastic tank-most won't) in there with a couple of nuts and shake it around for a while to break up the gum, then dump it.Repeat if necessary till its clean and use diesel as a final rinse, then install your pickup tube.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
use brass nuts so they cant spark in the tank, diesel might not ignite from sparks but there might not be just diesel in there

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. 10in.. I saw that but all that came out was about 3in total lol. 1 inch left on the fitting and about 2 inches on the strainer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I always use Simple Green to clean my tanks out. Pour it in straight, slosh it around good let it set, and repeat. Then use the pressure washer with HOT water, then just the hose with HOT water. Empty and let it sit in the sun and it will be dry real quick and clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Matt
Three inches sounds about right. I have two 322s that I have refurbished. I have replaced both pickup lines. The old ones were about 3 inches long.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The parts diagram found on the John Deere Parts Website called for the 10 inch piece of hose. As I read the follow up posts, and I agree that 10 inches seems a bit long.

Yet, I did mine a few years ago, and as I recall, it went down and aft a little ways, and the strainer was sitting down on the bottom of the tank parallel to the ground, not straight up and down. Do you think that would allow the fuel level to be drawn down a little bit more before the unit started sucking air?

·
Registered
506 Posts
The original, (black)in-tank tubing material that I replaced on my 330 and 332 recently were both both identically three and one-half inches long and had lain flat in the tanks at the screen-filter end. The 330's tank had a lot of black slime (algae)in it! I cleaned both tanks using a mixture of Simple Green, bleach and boiling water, with all openings sealed I sloshed the tanks vigorously for several minutes,inverting them in all aspects while doing so. I drained and repeated the process then rinsed thoroughly with water, finally rinsing with boiling water which mostly evaporated very rapidly then inverted the tanks for a day in the sun. Squeaky clean results! I'll certainly be using only fresh fuel and fuel conditioner in future. Luckily, the fuel filter seemed to have managed to trap most of the contaminants in the 330's tank because the tractor always ran smoothly and without any apparent untoward performance issues. *Cheers*

·
Registered
1990 (I think) JD 332
9 Posts
I changed mine according to this post, 10 in and the tractor runs out of fuel with over 1/2 tank left. Way to long, 3 1/2 seems about right

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
If you clean the tank with water, very last rinse before air dry should be plain old high test rubbing alcohol...it will evaporate the water as it evaporates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts