Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 332s. One is a later model and the other is an 87. The later models hydro operation seems to be much smoother than the 87. I have read about a hydro "upgrade" kit that John Deere supposedly issued that was supposed to "smooth out" the operation of the early hydros. Any one have an idea what parts were included/changed by the kit? The 87 is my dedicated mower and I would like to see if I can "smooth" the hydro function. Yes, I have attached pictures. The 87 is all pretty and the 89/90 needs to go through the paint shop this winter.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Bill

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Bill,

Your 1987 tractor would have the earliest version of the hydro linkage that was used on the 332 model (your tractor should be in the SN range of 420,001 to 475,000.) The linkage upgrade kit AM116222 you mention was made to fit onto tractors of SN478,268 through 999,000 (1988 to 1999 models and then SN 01001 through 101,284 which are year 1990 through mid 1991 tractors. Late 1991 and all 1992 tractors came with this improved linkage version as standard.

The linkage versions are usually described here as REV1, REV2, REV3 and REV4 -- which covers all the earliest 1983 model 318 to last models made in the open frame 300 series tractors which include your 332. No 332 tractors had the REV1 linkage. Your 1987 has the REV2 version which cannot receive the AM116222 kit. Your other tractor likely has a REV3 or REV 4 linkage, depending on SN. What is the SN of the later tractor? It may have an upgraded linkage from a prior owner, or just be in less worn shape to cause it to seem "smoother" than the '87.

When you say the other tractor is smoother -- are you referring to 'jerkiness' and perhaps a tendency to slow on hills and speed up on downgrades? These symptoms can be due to the underlying version, but can also be due to worn parts in the linkage of any revision, as well as a completely worn out dampener. First, we should determine the wear in your linkage on the 87...even a little slop causes substantial jerkiness and hysteresis. Each joint in the linkage has potential for wear, and it does not take much to translate into loss of smoothness in operation of the tractor. Here is a picture o the kinds of wear you might find in the linkage parts (not all of these parts shown are all in the REV2 style linkage, but you get the idea...)
Office ruler Font Household hardware Auto part Fastener

Post back with the serial numbers involved and we can be more specific in our suggestions. The dampener for your 87 tractor should be Deere part number AM35220. I am attaching the PC2139 which has exploded views of al the linkage styles used on the 33 over the years, please review and post back with any questions.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuckv, The 87s SN is 421XXX range. The last three numbers of the SN are partially scratched through. The later tractor has no data plate. It was missing when I got it. The powder coat had disappeared in that area and on most of the tractor. The 87 is "jerky", so I was hoping the kit would help resolve that. The 87 does not appear to show a lot of use, just neglect and abuse. The 87 didn't have an hour meter on it when I got it, so it's anyones guess how many hours it has. I had to fix a lot of electrical "improvements" and kill active rust. I ended up replacing one of the side panels in front of the instrument panel because it had rusted through at the bottom. I guess I have another project this winter to pull the fender pan and look through the hydro linkage for wear.

Bill

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Bill,

Once you get all the play/slop out of the linkage and renew the dampener, you should have far less jerkiness. One way to determine ahead of time if the majority of the rough speed transition when launching is from the dampener or the linkage connections is to observe if the ground speed is slowed as you climb a grade and speed up when you descend even though you made no change in ground speed lever position. That speed change would indicate linkage connection wear. If the jerkiness is mostly when you make an input to the ground speed lever (like launching from rest...) then the dampener is likely to be involved as well.

In extreme cases there can be frame flex or other drive line component movement adding to this symptom -- usually a crack in the frame near the axle, or loose axle to frame bolts. This more often occurs in the 430 as it is heavier and gets used harder with ground engaging attachments. Tractors that have only been used for mowing rarely have frame issues... Remember it only takes a few fractions of an inch of stretch or compression along the length of the combined hydro linkage to cause these jerky reactions.

Chuck

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Bill,

Once you get all the play/slop out of the linkage and renew the dampener, you should have far less jerkiness. One way to determine ahead of time if the majority of the rough speed transition when launching is from the dampener or the linkage connections is to observe if the ground speed is slowed as you climb a grade and speed up when you descend even though you made no change in ground speed lever position. That speed change would indicate linkage connection wear. If the jerkiness is mostly when you make an input to the ground speed lever (like launching from rest...) then the dampener is likely to be involved as well.

In extreme cases there can be frame flex or other drive line component movement adding to this symptom -- usually a crack in the frame near the axle, or loose axle to frame bolts. This more often occurs in the 430 as it is heavier and gets used harder with ground engaging attachments. Tractors that have only been used for mowing rarely have frame issues... Remember it only takes a few fractions of an inch of stretch or compression along the length of the combined hydro linkage to cause these jerky reactions.

Chuck
Yeah take it from me, The bolt that held the tranny to the cross member on my 430 backed out. Granted, I had to go through a lot of worn linkage, but there was a substantial difference with tightening it up. Good tight linkage makes 'em feel like new!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Isn't the Rev2 linkage with the vertical damper just behind the dash, and the long unadjustable link that runs fore/aft? I have an '89 (SN 595875) which had this one. I easily converted it to the Rev4 linkage a few years ago. Had to fabricate some stuff, but it wasn't all that difficult. 200% improvement upon the jerkiness. I have many drawings and measurements if it helps.

-Aaron-

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Knockknock332,

The linkage on your tractor is the second version that was used on the 332, but REV1 was not used on any of these 332 tractors -- so the version you have is technically a REV3 and eligible for the upgrade. I don't know if the earliest version of 332 linkage can be upgraded (those prior to SN 475,000...) easily, but it would be much more customized than the conversion you did. As you noted, the AM116222 kit is NLA, as are many of the component parts, so a more custom conversion of the earliest version would require a bit more ingenuity still as well as fabricated parts.

If any member has successfully converted the hydro linkage of a pre-1988 tractor to REV4 functionality, please chime in here. I vaguely recall some thread years ago, but can't find it readily now...

Chuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Isn't the Rev2 linkage with the vertical damper just behind the dash, and the long unadjustable link that runs fore/aft? I have an '89 (SN 595875) which had this one. I easily converted it to the Rev4 linkage a few years ago. Had to fabricate some stuff, but it wasn't all that difficult. 200% improvement upon the jerkiness. I have many drawings and measurements if it helps.

-Aaron-
I have a 318 with the rev 3 linkage and jerky motion. I want to tackle the jerky hydro symptoms this winter. I suspect it's what Chuck mentioned - sloppy linkage or bad damper or both. I would be very interested to see the drawings you have since some parts are no longer available. Are the linkages the same between 332 and 318? I think so?

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
JG,

Yes,the linkages are the same for 318/322/332 in any given serial number break (revision number...) Since the yearly volume production of each model is slightly different, the break SNs will be a little different for each mode. Attached below are the complete instructions for the original upgrade kit with some good illustrations.

Even if you don't upgrade to REV4, just eliminating slop and getting a new dampener for your existing version will make a world of difference...

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
@JG McGillicuddy If you go to my profile, under albums, there's some photos and a couple pdfs. I drew up the "clamp plate" in AutoCad, but was not paying attention, and so the datum 0,0 is off to the side. All measurements are in mm, and I again failed to have it round, so it goes out 4 decimal places. There's enough info there to make the part though. The piece exists to reinforce the single shear post that the lever sits on, as the forces on the post are increased. I think I made it like 1/4" thick, or close to that. The anchor strap thing in the rear right, above the axle I just bent up a piece of flat stock from Lowe's. I can take some measurements tonight if you want. It's all pretty simple.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I learned with my first 332 that if you can get the hydro linkage to move/wiggle fore/aft at all while connected (engine off, belly pan off), find and fix that first. My early 332 had a worn spacer (PN M85605, item 2) at the rear of the linkage and a worn pin (PN M8491, item 14) at the front of the linkage. Once those items were replaced, I had to adjust the hydro turnbuckle (PN M84802, item 9) linkage to find neutral again, tighten the compression spring (PN B1147B, item 16) some, but she runs like a champ now.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bill,

Chuck
I was ready to modify my 332 that has s/n 475766 (Year 1988) with Rev2 linkage to Rev4 I even handmade the clam plate according to Knocknock measurements but then I realized that Rev2 could not be modified without major work which at the time did not want to undertake. If you do go ahead with it please post pictures.
In the mean time a replaced the dampener and I pressed fit a washer to the turnbuckle at end where it connects to the swash plate. It helped quit a bit especially when going uphill. It used to slow down and I had to keep my hand on the hydro lever all the time. I wanted to replace the #14 bolt but it wouldn't come off easily so I gave up, maybe this fall when I take the deck for winter.

Henry.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Been there and said nasty things about the guy that designed access to that area and the same bolt (14).....
To get where you can work on it, take the right radiator sheet metal support off. Then you can get at it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts