Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was working on my now 5th 332 (I call it my hobby, my wife suggests it is an illness) I recalled an earlier post I made from a couple of years ago and thought I should update it for future 332 owners. Here is what I have learned about 332's (amended version) :
Note: This information is not intended to scare future owners out of purchasing a 332, just educate them on the issues I have encountered.
1. No matter what the hours on a new 332 purchase, always drain and flush the fuel tank. Inevitably, the fuel pickup screen and tube is either plugged or fallen off. Also, replace the fuel filter and o-ring at the engine.
2. The cooling system is by far the most neglected system on the tractor. Cleaning the 3 quart cooling system is not hard to do, but there is a fine line between a thorough cleaning and cleaning the system until the radiator starts leaking. Radiator repairs or replacing one can be expensive. Also, blow the radiator out regularly after each use.
3. As noted in my first post, replacing the fan belt is a pain. If you have the radiator out, replace the fan belt!
4. The 332's are old enough now that the rubber engine mounts have settled. The easiest way to determine this is to look at the fan blade tip clearance to the bottom of the fan shroud. If the fan blade is "trimmed a bit" you might need to add washers between the engine mounts to raise the engine up.
5. If the PTO is noisy when disengaged, the PTO bearing is probably rough. It is not hard to change, but it is a pricey bearing. Clean the clutch mating surfaces and take time to set the clutch air gap correctly.
6. Be prepared to replace every bearing or pulley with a bearing on the mower deck and deck drive system. Again, not hard to do, but worth it in the long run.
7. Be prepared for all of the deck gauge wheels to either need to be repaired or replaced. Once new gauge wheels are installed, verify the tractor tire pressure is correct before leveling the deck. Once you pay for the new gauge wheel kits, you will learn to set the deck height so the gauge wheels are not supporting the load of the deck when lowered.
8. The front axle has adjustment bolts on each side of the axle to limit fore/aft movement. The bolts and nuts usually haven't ever been adjusted and are usually tighter than all billy hell. Adjusting the bolts so they touch the axle will help take some of the steering wander out of the steering system.
9. The brake shoes are also an adjustment that needs to be done. There is a small oval rubber plug on the bottom of each rear brake mounting plate. Pop the plug out. With the rear wheel raised, adjust the brake adjuster (near the rear side of each oval) from the bottom up until the wheel stops turning by hand. Then loosen the adjuster a notch or two until the wheel just spins freely. Reinstall the plug. God help you if you have to take the brake drum off.
10. Just accept that you will need to install a voltage regulator, probably a battery and maybe alternator bearings on the tractor.
11. Clean ALL of the electrical connections in the system (ignition switch terminals, voltage regulator terminals, alternator lead connector, fuses, PTO switch, PTO clutch lead, etc.) that you can access.
12. Inevitably there is at least one safety switch by-passed on the tractors I have purchased. In the OM, there is a way to test the safety system. Follow the procedure to insure the entire safety system is functional.

Enough of the bad news. The good news is that in my experience the 332 and the Yanmar engine has a lot of life left in it if it has/is maintained. I have also had great luck with the hydros (with a fluid and filter change).

Here is 332 #5 after some elbow grease. The deck is still under construction.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,245 Posts
Another fan here for all the Yanmar 3 cylinder engines!! The diesel in my X495 and the gas versions in my two 322 tractors were a pleasure to run, and simple enough to maintain if you do it at the suggested periods. The 322 models with the gas Yanmar engines were the smoothest, quietest garden tractors of that vintage series...

Steve -- you must have a bigger shed than I ever had ;)

Chuck

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Great list 332 guy.
Hope you dont mind, I'll add a few ideas.
1 - replace the fuel hoses. After 30 plus years they are deteriorating on the inside. I'd recommend R9 graded fuel hose or higher.
2 - rubber driveshaft coupler. A good visual inspection, or replacement of it. It might save your radiator from damage.
3- clean voltage relay for voltage regulator. You'll need it, so do it right away.
4 - steer axle bushing and bolt. Spindle bushings also. All 332 tractors are metric bushings from the factory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts