Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced VR and Alternator and new connections to VR. Oil change and Hydro oil change as well. Bypassed the seat switch while I had seat off - just wanted to fire it up before I put seat on. Battery fully charged - had it tested and it鈥檚 fine. I turn key and no glow plug light as usual ? Cranks over and sputters ? Wondering where to go from here. 馃.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive design Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes but it has to crank first. Check your safety switches and check for power.
Tractor is turning over and sputtering - I guess makes sense needs to be bled. Not sure how I got air in lines - was running fine before I made repairs.
Definitely need to bleed the fuel system. You mentioned that it cranks ans sputters -- does the fuel shutoff solenoid open completely? Here is the fuel bleed procedure:

View attachment 287175 View attachment 287176

Bob
thanks 馃憤

Registered
Reading your symptoms carefully, I picked up on your comment about it cranking but no glow plug light like usual - can you exaggerate on that? Coupled with the sputtering/no fuel makes me wonder if you have an electrical problem. In this weather, you will need glow plugs unless your garage is very warm. Even if your garage is at 70F, your engine may still need glow plugs to properly start.
Bob asked if your fuel solenoid was opening completely and I did not see that you answered that. Have you checked that? When the engine cranks, are you getting any exhaust smoke?

If you did not open the fuel system but the system appears down in the fuel filter bowl- you may not be getting fuel from the tank. Again, possible electrical issue.

I would go back over all the changes you made since it last ran and see what changed - disconnected wire, blown fuse, wire burned?

If you have the manual, troubleshoot why your glow plugs lights are off. You can download a manual if you don鈥檛 have one. If your engine is cold, it likely won鈥檛 fire without the glow plugs warming the chambers even if it鈥檚 getting fuel.

And as advised before, reconnect the seat safety when you reinstall the seat pan and new seat.

Registered
Easy to see if your glow plugs are working. Turn the key on and check for power with a test light. Also easy to wire the glow plugs yourself with a push button. I鈥檝e replaced 3 glow plug modules and recommend using the genuine JD module if you discover yours is malfunctioning.

Registered
One other thought. Once you get the glow plug circuit checked out and you鈥檝e verified 12V at the glow plugs and verified you have fuel to the cylinders, if it still does not start in the cold, one or more glow plugs could be burned out.

Glow plugs are small heating elements - about the size of a small spark plug. They are easy to replace.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I replaced fuel filter and trying to bleed system per instructions - I turn key and get a click - and what sounds like a faint clock ticking . Fuel solenoid goes off ok - seems to ? I posted pics of before and after I turned key. When I open first bleed screw - no fuel flowing ? Prior to changing filter I cranked it and did get smoke - I assume was some fuel in line. I have fuel in the tank - not a full tank - not sure even half full - I am going to get some fuel and fill it up to eliminate that as issue.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Registered
Check fuel delivery from lift/fuel pump...sorry don't have that page of the service manual. Dis connect fuel line from filter, disconnect shutoff solenoid, turn key...that click should be noticeable, that's the lift pump doing its job...should fill a small jar pretty quickly.

Registered
How cold is it and do you treat your fuel? Gelled fuel can be another issue you might be experiencing. When I brought 332 #1 home many years ago the tank was fairly full of summer blend and the PO apparently didn't use additives. First cold spell and it wouldn't fire as the lines were plugged. Dumped in a bunch of treatment and left a handy light under it for a bit and things started flowing.

Registered
I agree with Temp, and I would check it before adding anymore fuel to the tank. I'm basing that on the looks of the hose going to the injection pump. In fact I would replace all of the rubber lines. And switch to a little piece of tygon for the pick up.

The clicking you hear when you first turn the key is the electric fuel pump. If it weren't sucking air in the tank, you could bleed the lines at the fuel filter housing and the injection pump, using the electric pump. Then start it and bleed the lines at the injectors.

Do yourself a favor and get some new tank grommets.

Registered
NHT's - good to hear you got it running. Just to close the loop on this for others that may read this post in the future with similar problems, as of yesterday you appeared to have 2 problems - 1. Not getting fuel and 2. No glow plug light.

Besides topping off the fuel tank, priming it and remounting the seat and pan, did you do anything electrical to address the glow plug light issue?

P.S. If you have not already, I suggest you add some diesel fuel conditioner/anti gel to the tank and any fuel left in your fuel can as a precaution for cold weather.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts