Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a replaceable seal for engine oil in the water pump assembly on a 332. Or am I stuck replacing the whole WP?

I have an oil leak, and it appears to be coming from up above the rear main seal (which I replaced during the summer). I thought it may have been the valve cover, but it's dry despite my adjusting the valves a bit ago.

I'm thinking it's coming out around where the fan shaft comes out.

There is a seal shown on the fiche, it has a part number, but it's for the entire pump...

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
mjy, Any help: Bob

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Slope

Reactions: gj.duganx

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at 16, but maybe 20 is the culprit? Other than none of my local dealers having it... It looks much better than the whole pump.

The pump seems to be working properly on the coolant.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
AHH! I do see that if you click on #16, it states buy a water pump!
#16 is probably a ceramic seal that rides on the rear of #12. Seal wears grooves into back of #12. Grrr! Bob

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Any chance you have a parts list for a Yanmar 3TN66? CTM3 shows pump repairs and to replace the shaft seal #16, so someplace there's a number for the seal! Bob

Reactions: mjydrafter

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
I know nothing of this engine, but you said you had an oil leak. In the water pump? I've never seen a water pump with oil anywhere near it. Is this something specific to this engine? Just curious. Always interested in learning things.

Reactions: mjydrafter

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know nothing of this engine, but you said you had an oil leak. In the water pump? I've never seen a water pump with oil anywhere near it. Is this something specific to this engine? Just curious. Always interested in learning things.
It looks just like what you would expect a leaking WP to look like, except it's oil, not coolant. The weep hole in the pump is dry. But the oil seems to be coming out of the fan shaft.

I agree it's weird.

I will have to do some more investigation.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm kind a moron, it's coolant not oil. Which makes more sense. Although, doesn't make anything less expensive.

At it's age, it probably deserves a new pump... grrrr. :mad:

:)

·
Registered
813 Posts
My 330 is covered with years of oil. I cleaned as best I could but really have to wait till it warms up and pressure wash it. The rear of the engine has been apart as I see rtv silicone blobs on gasket areas.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
AFAIK the pump is nla 😟
I think the supply of parts for our old girls is quickly running out. But the water pump could be a real bummer. Maybe we'll see repowered Yanmars soon.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pump is still available or at least was. I did have to make a quick road trip up to Madrid (Home of the High Trestle bike trail). There was also one in Oskaloosa, but further away.

I did have to make a gasket, none is supplied and none were available.

Only got one action shot. Wanted to get it done while it was nice 55ish.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,901 Posts
So you got a new pump and are already installing it? Damn, that was quick!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Installed and tested for leaks. :) Snow coming Friday into Saturday with amount increasing as we get closer. Currently 4-8" forecast.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 330 is covered with years of oil. I cleaned as best I could but really have to wait till it warms up and pressure wash it. The rear of the engine has been apart as I see rtv silicone blobs on gasket areas.
I cleaned a bunch of (35 years) of grimy build up off from around the WP and below it. It may have been weeping for a while and was soaking in before the cold made it more obvious.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now I need to tear into the non-working float setting on my H3. I think the detent cap needs to cleaned and lubed. I'm trying to get at it in-situ. But, it's pretty tight in there and this one doesn't have any bolt flats on it (like a 140) or a nut on the end like the original H2.:mad:

·
Registered
1989 318
1,901 Posts
That mjydrafter boy works fast!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts