Weekend Freedom Machines banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I do actually. Judging by the lack of witness marks on the fasteners, none of it was ever touched before I got it. And when I took it appart, I did take note of the little alignment mark on the fuel rack; it was right where it's supposed to be according to the service manual. That's where I put it back to. The amount that I adjusted it yesterday coincides with how much Iadjusted it before, and since I marked it before moving it, it ended up right back where it was anyway. So it ought to be pretty darn close. No better than the dealer could do at least. Not as good as a proper injection shop would do, but I think that's ok, it should be good now. I noticed a distinct difference in the amount of smoke when going up a steep hill with the MCS going...or rather lack thereof.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
(y)

I think I've mentioned it, a free flowing exhaust in a diesel does wonders for eliminating heat on these older engines. Mufflers were a compromise. Nobody likes hearing the dull blat of a diesel in their ears when working, so the factory installed a muffler. But, out of necessity due to space restrictions, they installed a small restrictive muffler. It quiets the exhaust though because that was more important than getting the best running engine. Because they did have noise laws back then to contend with.

Sorry, preaching to the choir again.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
More reasons why I added sound deadening to the hood and side panels, which did work! I always wear my ear muffs when running it around for more than 10 minutes too :)

Reactions: Randy-IA

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wasn't paying enough attention before but if you're losing coolant, then check if the precombustion chambers have access to the coolant jacket - if so, you may have a leaking or cracked chamber, and that could also explain the high coolant temps. This would be less likely with a leaking liner seal and you'd also probably see a lot of coolant in the oil. Do you see any coolant there?. See this problem occasionally on old Cats. Chambers and seals are "usually" not expensive but I don't know Yanmar prices

·
Registered
216 Posts
Another data point for you.

Yesterday I did my final mow of the year (Southern Ohio). It was 50 degrees outside. I mowed for 1.5 hours. Temperature never got over 152 (At the thermostat).

-Andy

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Andy,

How did you measure the temp, and you must have only had a mower going? I'm measuring with a K-type thermocouple in a bolt where the temp switch normally goes. 160F is when the thermostat
Just cracks open, so you were under thermostat control.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Measuring with digital gauge in place of over temp sensor.

Thermostat never opened I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

161 - 167 of 167 Posts