Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the 332 on a little 'road trip' this past weekend - .5 mile down and .5 back on paved road to do some work on a neighboring property with the Buford Bucket - which performed flawlessly -

it was cool (30 degrees) and i made the trip at almost full rpm and the lever full forward.

I noticed a bit of a whine from (I believe) the rear end. I have never driven it any distance on pavement before - is this normal? What to check? No noticeable grumbles while loading or unloading several truckloads of mulch, but on soft ground and much slower speeds.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
All of my hydrostatic drive JD tractors whine, because they are gently used and carefully refurbished. It seems to be a trait of the equipment. Others will chime in too.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Both my 318 and 332 whine, I havent found anything wrong with them. I've accepted it as normal now.
Check the fluid level or you can drain and refill with new filter. See if its quieter.

·
Super Moderator
3,752 Posts
Could the cause be in the flow of the fluid in the transmission? Just a thought I had.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also have a 318 and a 332 and they both have a whine, although the 318 is louder than the 332. I just ignore it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. It may have been there all the time, I had just never driven it at speed on asphalt. Where would I check the rear end fluid? Is it the same reservoir as the hydraulic fluid for the pump?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Yes, hydraulic fluid is in fact your rear end lube. You'll have, or should have, a small glass tube by the right rear wheel with hose attached to both ends. Not sure about the 332, but I NEED to let my 322 sit for 15-20 minutes after running to check the level. Best to do BEFORE starting engine... along with engine oil & coolant. Bob

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also, hydros will whine LOUDER before they fully warm up. My 330 will quiet down a lot after running for 30 mins or so and having the hygard up to temp.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yep, sight glass is visible on right rear of machine looking at it from the hitch plate area. Easily replaced if necessary. If yours is not visible, clean that area gently...you'll notice tube coming up to the glass on that side. If you've never changed the hydro fluid now might be the time...a 316 I had awhile back was not as "whiney" after I changed the fluid and filter. One of my cousins was the same way when I was a kid...noisy unless fed/watered.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Sounds like the gf's cat also, lol.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
There was some marketing information from the 322 when it came out that indicated it was a 'quieter' hydro than prior models -- below is a screen shot from Mmr Beef's website pages of this document:

I don't believe that this addresses the "whine" specifically, just the 'growl' you sometimes hear during acceleration or deceleration. The complete document is attached below...

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone - I have always kept an eye on the sight glass for hydro fluid and keep in "in range" The machine seems to function fine but I don't need any surprises come mowing season!

·
Registered
630 Posts
The earlier 1983-1987 tractors always seem to have a whine to them. They seemed to have fixed that issue in 1988. Just out of curiosity is your 332 a 1987?

·
Registered
630 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts