Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just double checking what I believe I have confirmed via reading through multiple threads on here. Many thanks to those who posted so the info is there for someone like myself to make use of.

It started out that the battery light on the dash would light a little when at low rpm's but go out at high rpms. I re-did the wiring at the voltage regulator and that corrected things for a few weeks. However now the battery charge light on the dash is lit all the time, even at high rpms.

Went through the normal voltage checks...Battery voltage is 12.5VDC, I have 12.5VDC on the red wire going to the starter; 36VAC coming from the alternator, 12.2VDC on the brown wire going to the dash light and 11.5VDC on the green voltage indicator wire. I have a good ground connection via the bolts on the voltage regulator itself and a good ground jumper connection around the rubber engine mount. The epoxy on the back of the regulator is not bubbled at all it is in good shape.

As suggested in a few other places it seems the green voltage indicator wire is low probably due to a drop somewhere in the contacts it goes through upstream. This causes the voltage regulator to think the alternator voltage is low and not charging the battery, lighting the dash light.

My next step is to get a relay as others have done and wire the coil to activate off the green voltage indicator wire and have the battery wired directly through the relay to the terminal where the green voltage indicator wire normally goes. Does that sound reasonable?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Clean off the corrosion thats creating the voltage drop, chase that voltage sensing wire backwards. Just curious, when the engine is running, what does the batter voltage go to? Should be 13 something..

Reactions: pidjones
1 - 4 of 4 Posts