Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a ‘91 332. Key turns on dash lights But when i turn to start, nothing? I think this has been an ongoing problem? It, more than sometimes would take a number of key bumps before the starter would turn overs. Then started might turn just for a second then Nothing. Hook jumpstarter to battery and most of the time it seemed to start. Starter and solenoid test good. Did continuity test on ignition switch and Test good when key turned over. I am at a loss. Any and all help appreciated.
Thanks. John

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Does the glow-plug light on the dash work...comes on when you turn the key, wait until it goes out (ready to start signal), then turn key to start? That's how it works on my 430, wait for the glow-plug light to go off then turn key to bump the starter. Is the fuel solenoid working right?

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
John,

The key switch on these tractors can suffer from age related intermittent issues internally, so replacing it is low cost preventative maintenance move. Another possible issue could be your neutral start relay, but the most likely source of a no-crank symptom is an issue with the safety interlock system -- either a bad switch somewhere or a loose/grounded wire. Here is the relevant wiring excerpt:

322 - 332 - 430 starting circuit.jpg

Using a voltmeter, check for voltage at the terminal S2 of the ignition switch when in the START position (the purple wire...) and if present your issue is likely in the loop of PTO switch(es), the neutral switch or the brake switch. If you r tractor does not have the rear PTO switch, there will be a jumper at the X5 harness plug.

If you have voltage all the way to the neutral start relay coil when the key switch is in the ON or START positions, then suspect the neutral start relay. If no voltage at the relay coil, trace back through the loop to find your root cause culprit.

Hope this helps...let us know what you find.

Chuck

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chuck. I had always suspected the ignition switch and will be replacing asa weather permits. Tractor ended up outside, covered of course, but raining.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
332 is starting just fine, as long as battery is charged.
Problem is, I'm still have a battery discharge issue. I just keep it running until I'm finished, but then it won't turn over. Throw charger on for a bit and starts right up.
We got some snow finally is Cincy and I hooked up 49 blower. PTO would not engage. Adjusted clutch, and worked fine day one. On and off all day no problem. Next day wouldn't re-engage after running awhile(and battery weak/dead).
Does the PTO not work w/ a weak/dead battery, even if tractor is running fine??

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Sounds like you need to have your battery tested and perhaps replaced -- how old is it? If the battery voltage is low, the PTO will not work correctly. Maybe your regulator is not working correctly and not recharging your battery while the engine is running. Your engine may still run on the lower voltage...

Another thing to check is the air gap on the PTO itself -- if it is not set to the nominal 0.018 inches it may not re-engage when hot.

If the battery is failing and has shorted cell, the charging system must work extra hard and that can cause the connections to overheat and become intermittent, so check for signs of harness overheating as well.

Chuck

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery date is 4-20. it does hold charge while sitting. Regulator was changed out few years ago but I put in an ”off“ brand and had read that a cheaper regulator might fail quickly?
PTO was gapped properly and I rechecked and adjusted when PTO would not re-engage after shutting off.
Will check harness.
Thanks Chuck.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I'm thinking bad regulator. Remove battery and take to auto parts store for load check. If OK, reinstall and check for power at fuses with key in "Off". If power, bad ignition switch or bad regulator. Remove plug(s) from regulator, check for power at fuses. If power, bad ignition switch. If no power, bad regulator.

Regulator may be shorted inside supplying power to fuses/system at all times AND draining battery down. Bob

·
Registered
686 Posts
The other thing to check on the 332 is the glow plug relay. Check if the glow plugs are actually off when it's running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts