Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i picked up a 345 from a member last week. i believe it to be a 98 model, SN-M00345B041413. well i knew the trans had a leak when i bought the tractor and my question is, before i remove the trans from the tractor is there any common leaks, seals, or gaskets at are known to go bad? it is leaking by the left rear tire but doesnt seem the be leaking from the axle seal.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I have replaced axle seals but not familiar with 345 transmission.

... 318 uses M48934 axle seal.
... 345 transaxle case shown in parts catalog is completely different and uses MIU804314 as axle seal.

It looks like the seal on the 345 is on the exterior of the axle housing next to the hub that attaches to axle shaft.

Is this the area you are saying does not appear to leak? I do not see another area unless there is a top/bottom part to the transmission case. Don't see a seal between these sections so can only surmise something like Form-a-gasket it used to seal them. Looks to me like the best way to fix this is pull the transmission.

Gabby

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes gabby the outer seal you explained SEEMS to be dry/not leaking. there is an "oil pan" on the bottom of the tractor that does indeed have some sort of rtv sealing it. i am probably going to pull the trans tonight after work and try to reseal that "oil pan" but was hoping someone had a know leak problem to investigate first

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Kevin, 345 is not at all familiar to me. Hope someone with experience with this model chimes in. Good luck with the repair ... Gabby

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gabby i have a few front hydrolic lines i aquired. was told there from a 140. sending you a pm

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Thanks, will reply to your pm.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i used grey "high torque" RTV. let it sit for at least 24 hours before adding the trans fluid and it had a puddle under it the next day. ive had it sitting but now im revisiting it. the RTV in the seem and on the inside of the case was soft like it never cured so i guess it wasnt compatible with the hy-gaurd low viz. does anyone have a recommendation of what to use to seal the trans back shut?

·
Super Moderator
3,872 Posts
I have always use products designed to be replacements for gaskets. RTV isn't the same.
Use a fresh tube of Form a Gasket.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I thought RTV was a make your own gasket compound? Deere uses it in SCUT/CUT hydraulic systems (as chunks were in the sumps of first oil changes for a few years due to excess, pretty well documented on GTT)

·
Registered
89 Posts
The term rtv gets used somewhat generically with sealants, including silicone based sealants. Silicone and transmission fluids don't mix well. Make sure you've got an actual rtv.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think thats my problem. i used a silicone rtv and in it was soft when i opened the trans back up. its a bummer to have to redo this but i need to get the grass whacked down. seems my 140 is leaking hydro fluid now too :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts