Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I'm a long time forum member. I don't really ever need to post a question because usually someone has already brought it up and had it answered by the good folks here. However I have a question that I think I need some help on.

I have a 37A snowblower with tag #, Model E210, Serial 111982 M. This particular unit was equipped with the non-shear bolt auger (AM31492). According to an old post Deere made an update to this design and provided a replacement auger with the now standard shear pin plates (AM33553). I've been looking for this auger so I can swap it out, but no suprise it is not available. So I'm wondering has anyone performed a modification to their auger to add the shear plates manually? I was thinking of getting one or two of AM33334, cutting the rotor shaft (PTO side), then welding on the plates. I believe a portion of the shaft would need to protrude through the two plates to maintain structural integrity but allow for free spinning when the shear bolt breaks. I haven't taken the unit apart just yet, but I'm looking to get some up front information before tearing into it. Has anyone tackled this already?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Wasn't aware that there was old style without shear pins.
On my 37A the plates just butt up against each as the auger is on shaft driven by gear. I could get some pics if you need as I have to get it ready for snow duty.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here is a pic of my 37-A. The 1/4”x20 bolts aka shear bolts are on the far right of the pic. It’s not modified but may give you an idea of how to approach adding shear bolts. BTW. I have never sheared the bolts! Knock on wood!👍I hope this helps.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Yellow Asphalt Road surface

Hec

Reactions: jake_vc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Mine does not have the matching flanges where a shear bolt would connect on either side of the auger/rotor. I can confirm that it is direct connected after going through the unfortunate experience of full throttle snowblowing to dead silence in one second after sucking up a hidden rock. The tractor and blower survived, but I'd like to avoid that going forward. It's a real head scratcher how Deere let some of these out in the wild without shear bolt protection. Here is an image from an old post discussing the update and retro fit from Deere:
Font Paper Advertising Paper product Newsprint

My serial number is below the threshold listed in this publication.

In looking at the JD parts diagrams, the updated version appears to have a 3/4" keyed shaft that goes all the way through the rotor with the shear flanges on the operator's left side. The retro fit version (above) shows the flanges on the right side, so that's why I'm curious if it is possible to modify my rotor to accept some shear flanges.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I wonder if you could just replace your key on the drive sprocket with one made out of a softer material? That way the key would shear and save the auger if it suddenly stopped.

Hec

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, that is a good idea. Maybe a piece of single strand copper wire in a heavy guage that is then hammered/pressed into the slotted key shape for the shaft. I would think copper would shear much easier than a high strength steel. However, I was hoping to arrive at the shear bolt setup, so that if a person other than me hits something and shears a bolt, they could replace the bolt and get back to work. It's nice to have other family members be able to help.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I hear ya but for the short term I would replace the steel key with a brass key. I would also pull the drive gear and clean up the bore and shaft. I would also apply anti seize to the parts to make sure everything stays free to shear.

Hec

1 - 8 of 8 Posts