Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 38T sweeper. Probably overpaid, and it's had some PO repairs. But, it worked, and it's the right color, and it's actually fairly solid.

I tried it out after bringing it home and reassembling it (I was being lazy and thought it would just fit into my Jettta... it did, but required some disassembly. LOL). It worked, but only one wheel was driving it. Luckily, a lot of it is NLA... but, with some cleaning and a few missing E-clips, it actually works. Even got the one whel working so now it has 2 driving it. Cleaned it up and regreased it with my signature waterproof bicycle grease (This time I used Slick Honey, instead of PhilWood, LOL) Anyway, no grease on the pinion gear and pawl, and they work well.

I rebuilt the casters, with some creative engineering. I even got the dump mechanism to work properly.

The biggest last hurdle is the tires, I'm sure NLA, Looking for some ideas. I was thinking epoxy, of some kind. It would be nice if they weren't slicks too.

Not sure if the video will work, but figured I would try.

· Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The inline skate wheels were bored for some plain bronze bearings. I didn't think fancy ABEC-7 bearings on a 5/16 axle would cut it.

So these have a 1/2" axle, and plain bearings. They are aren't tight, but they aren't loose either, we will see how they work and hold up. I do like the more round edges for what they do. ETA: the only modification the Deere caster was enlarging one of the axle holes to 1/2"

I will also need to beef up the draft arm/tongue it's pretty flimsy.

Reactions: lt230s

· Registered
2,614 Posts
You might be able to find some aftermarket push mower wheels.
I had same issue with dethatcher I had picked up. It was missing a wheel and I used an old mower wheel I had laying around.
Wood Gas Metal Automotive wheel system Machine

Not at all like original but serves the purpose until I can find matching one to original .

· Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might be able to find some aftermarket push mower wheels.
I had same issue with dethatcher I had picked up. It was missing a wheel and I used an old mower wheel I had laying around. View attachment 284138
Not at all like original but serves the purpose until I can find matching one to original .
These are fairly one of a kind with gears built in on the inside. According to the parts site they were an inner wheel and a "tire", but I don't know what it would actually take to change them, maybe a press?

Closest I can come up with is the Toro personal pace drive wheels, the pinion gears and pawls are similar as well. These are also bigger than a regular mower wheel. like 10-11".

· Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, just did a little google-foo and found guys "retreading" plastic lawn mower tires with Mountain bike tires... I like it.

Reactions: lt230s

· Registered
2,614 Posts
These are fairly one of a kind with gears built in on the inside. According to the parts site they were an inner wheel and a "tire", but I don't know what it would actually take to change them, maybe a press?

Closest I can come up with is the Toro personal pace drive wheels, the pinion gears and pawls are similar as well. These are also bigger than a regular mower wheel. like 10-11".
Forgot about the gears.

· Registered
49 Posts
I am a 38T guy myself. You may have already figured this out but they were made for JD by Midwest Products Inc. MPI went under during covid Their website only has a landing page left announcing their closing. This may help you in looking for similar models they made. I set a saved search for myself on Ebay and you would be suprised how many NOS items come up for them. Right now there are brushes on there for sale. If I can help with anything dont hesitate to reach out.

· Registered
2,614 Posts
Mjydrafter,
I was att TSC over the weekend and they had some sweeper wheels there with gears. Looked like MTD but didn't note size or price.

Reactions: mjydrafter

· Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
862 Posts
Did some "retreading" over the weekend. (I'm actually a Goodyear certified re-treader...LOL)

Still need to try it out. But they have to be better than the slicks it had.
I did something similar to my sons powerwheels gator.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

I beleive I used an offroad bmx tire. An old snowmobile or atv belt would work too Im sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts