Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time back a person was talking about redoing their mower deck and inquiring about the best type of paint to use. I stated at that time that the next one I did would be done with Por-15.

Well, that was about a month ago, and I'm sad to say that I don't believe I've improved my situation very much. I followed the instructions carefully, and believe I did my part to get the surfaces good and clean. After the first use I took the deck off the tractor and washed the underside with a garden hose so as not to damage the paint. Unfortunately it was already damaged a little bit. I put it back on and used it some more, and today I pressure washed it real good to give a good inspection. As you can see from the pictures, the por-15 flakes off pretty much the same as any other paint might.

I've repainted the flaked areas and intend to use the deck, but am disappointed that I could have done about the same thing with regular primer and paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks for that info. It's always good when somebody posts things that didn't work out and helps others from making the same mistake. We need more of that.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I've never tried it, but a fellow used "Chassis Saver" and said after 4 years it still looked good. Bob

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hmm. POR15 usually works pretty good, and I can’t say I’ve seen it ever flake off. I see you state you got the surfaces good and clean but did you use the degreaser and the metal etch prep that comes in the kit? Those two steps are just as important as the actual paint. The POR15 coating will wear off especially under a mower deck and if you have a sandy lawn, even more so. Looking at the pics, it doesn’t look like the rust was converted with the etchant step. Could just be the pics.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm with Kris, improper/incorrect surface prep. Por, or any coating, will bond the the surface it's applied to. BUT! I that surface, like rust, is not bonded to the base metal, the surface and the coating fall off. I know the can says apply over rust, but I don't believe it! Bob

·
Registered
178 Posts
Perhaps that's the problem.
Likely is. I don’t think you have to use the metal prep, but it sure helps bond the paint to the metal. I usually buy a “sample” size kit from Amazon. It contains the degreaser, metal prep, POR15, plus some gloves, brushes, etc. That little kit will go surprisingly far. I’d give it another chance before using something else. I’m a pretty hard sell on everything but I really believe the POR15 is where it’s at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts