Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Two 400s, MTD 990, Sears 10XL
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I truly try not to submit "please help me find information that should be readily available" posts but i've looked high and low for these parts and the DuckDuckGo servers are overheating from my repeated queries. I have a 46" snowblower for my 400 GT with a PTO shaft, JD part number AM36610, that is in dire need of new u-joint bearings. If anyone has these part numbers or sizes I would be very appreciative if you could share them.
Normally i would just remove them and measure them myself but i'm out of the country for work and am trying to order them for my return home.

Thanks fellas!

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
The Model 50 snowthrower for the JD400 has a gearbox-to-tractor short driveshaft made with specialty pin and block knuckles rather than needle bearing crosses. I have never located replacement parts, but have rebuilt these driveshafts with pins and needle cup bearings just like those used on the original tractor driveshaft (as long as the yokes were not worn). I believe industry-standard components could be used to fabricate a new driveshaft, but am not certain about clearance issues. See this old thread: 50 snowblower driveshaft. Hopefully other members have done this and will respond.
Harold

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
No experience replacing one for me. Mine is in really good shape. My Model 50 thrower was hardly used when I got it and it hasn't had a very tough life since then.

·
Registered
Two 400s, MTD 990, Sears 10XL
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Model 50 snowthrower for the JD400 has a gearbox-to-tractor short driveshaft made with specialty pin and block knuckles rather than needle bearing crosses. I have never located replacement parts, but have rebuilt these driveshafts with pins and needle cup bearings just like those used on the original tractor driveshaft (as long as the yokes were not worn). I believe industry-standard components could be used to fabricate a new driveshaft, but am not certain about clearance issues. See this old thread: 50 snowblower driveshaft. Hopefully other members have done this and will respond.
Harold
Thank you for this thread, looks like i will be shopping and building my own.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I wonder if a small car inner CV joint could be modified to work. Machining involved, of course. It would be an interesting thought experiment. Alternatively, I would bet the pins and bearings can still be sourced using measurements.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Same here. I have a splined coupler from a 400 mower deck stashed away. It's too short for a deck driveshaft but it could be modified to use on my model 50. It has a rectangular shaft so I'd need a knuckle like that on the blower end of it. I actually have a good universal like that but it's for a square shaft (see pic). Not enough room for all that though. Not gonna worry about it. I don't see my blower driveshaft going down for the count any time soon. Unless I grab a torch and reverse smelt it because it won't go on when I'm mounting the blower.
Bicycle part Gas Auto part Cylinder Nickel

My 50 thrower too has some slop in the U-joints albeit not terrible. I've seen worse. When the time comes I guess I'll try and make my own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts