Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I just joined, and I am hoping I can get some help. My question, if someone can point me in the right direction, is this. On a Deere 400, what is the sequence of removal (or installation) for both the 3 point and PTO? I have the manual, and it indicates WHAT, but not HOW. There is no clearance, and fasteners are very unfriendly.

In particular, it seems that the removal/installation of the top lever for the 3 pt is critical.

Thanks for any light you can shed. Gosh, I love these green and yellow beasties!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hi Larry and welcome to WFM!

I have a 400 (though significantly modified) and I'm scratching my head a bit trying to figure out your question. I don't have a PTO, so can't be much help there. I did build my 3PH and can add my ignorance to that process. I'm not sure what you are asking about removal and installation of the "top lever". The upper mount for the top link is permanently attached. The rockshaft (the lifting arms) does have minimal clearance at the hydraulic ram attachment point. And, typically the 3PH would stay on, too. Can you shoot some pictures and show what you are up against?

Jay

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
The pto is on spring pins and tiller type studs. Remove the sping pins pull it out and off. Then climb under the mid front and disconnect the driveshaft. Pull the collar back then the shaft. Then the whole thing pulls out the back.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gents, let me explain a bit more. I think I need someone who has removed and installed them before. I have been able to do this, but given how normally simple tractor repair can be, I just cannot understand why it is so difficult.

The pick you see has the rockshaft, and PTO chain housing still installed. There are 4 bolts that hold the rockshaft to the chassis - and one pin to the actuator. Removing the rockshaft was not obvious - I had to cut relief into the mounting flange on the chassis to pull it out. No clear way to get this out. That is one issue. Second, it seems the pin connecting the rockshaft clevis to the actuator shaft should come from the inside out, but there is no obvious clearance to do so.

Finally, the PTO chain housing itself is held on by 4 bolts - should be easy enough, but there is such poor access with the rockshaft on, it must be removed I assume. Even then, not great access.

So ideally, someone who has done this can either guide me with the correct sequence, or confirm it is just plain silly.

Thanks for your time!

Larry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
The pto bracket is held by 2 spring pins and the driveshaft.

Remove that then the 3 point. I sold one this summer but the picture was lost.pull a rear tire if needed to see it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well, I'll give the rockshaft assembly a shot.

Extend the lift cylinder to expose the bolt that slides in the slot and disconnect the cylinder. Take off the lift strap. Drive the tapered pin out of the arm of the lift strap on the outside of the frame and disconnect the lift strap. You'll have to figure out the direction of the taper. With the cylinder and lift strap disconnected, you should be able to swing the rockshaft into position to be able to drive the taper pin out. I don't remember the direction.

Then take off both bearing flanges and pull them off to the outside of both sides of the frame. Now the rockshaft should slide to the left to get the right end out of the frame. Pull the shaft to the right to get it out of the left side frame. There shouldn't be any grinding required. Are you parting this 400 out?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gents,

KB, I think I am not communicating well... by PTO I am referring to the chain drive assembly in the back that takes the driveshaft feed from the front belt driven assembly, and provides a spline exiting the rear for the implements. No spring pins on this PTO. I do like the notion of removing the rear tires, thanks!

Jay, I agree with everything you have said, but I have yet to find the angle needed to get the rockshaft out - which is why I slotted the chassis there. But access to the PTO housing is a mess. BTW, not remotely parting out the 400s. I was way lucky here out west to find the first one, the 400 with bucket, LD6 backhoe and 5 implements. Problem was that I was using the backhoe almost every weekend for something.... could not use the implements. Obvious solution.... get another 400 for the implements! Gotta love my wife! I am in the process of moving the PTO from the first one to the second one....

Thanks again,

Larry

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh man, your killing me here! I don't really understand what you are trying to do. Do you want remove the rear PTO gearbox from the rear of the tractor? If so, you don't have to remove the 3PH. In fact you don't removed it at all, I leave mine installed all the time. Anyway, here are some pics of the rear PTO gearbox and the pins KB was talking about, they are kinda hidden, but you can see I am pointing to one them in the picture. I also put a link of a guy on youtube that shows how to install the gearbox with the 3PH installed. The last picture is with the 3PH installed and the gearbox removed. I hope this helps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESUw6bHA4rI

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well no wonder!!!! Someone in the past must have removed the pins, and replaced them with nut and bolts. I don't have those cool pins on my bracket.

Got a spare???? :{D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts