Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Grandpa jay, do you know what size bolts I need to put wheel weights on my 400? (Size and thread count?)

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Thanks Jay. I was not aware of the need to move engine/rear end ... Gabby

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I can confirm what GJ said about the driveshaft. I'm not sure whether it's easier to yank the transaxle out or move the engine ahead. Not gonna be a simple job either way.

I'm with Tommyhawk that it was the points. I have one 532 that ate them regularly till I replaced the governor. The little push rod was worn down but I put the entire spare governor on it and have had no issues since. When they went bad warm re-starts were no longer possible, it had a lack of power and ran like it was on one cylinder. That was always worrisome till I confirmed it was the points ..yet again. I ran one 532 for over 700 hours and never did put points in it. That's pretty unusual though. The camshaft broke so I don't know how long it would have gone without new ones.

I was mowing my yard and about an hour in my 400 started shutting down and backfiring and then died. I was able to pull the choke before it stopped but it didn't help. When I tried to restart it the battery didn't have enough to crank it over and when I tried to jump it it still wouldn't start. The backfiring is what has me concerned, was running great until that happened. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have the 4 50lb weights on the 140 I'm going to swap over for pushing snow. I called the dealer this morning and he said he can order those bolts but the computer didn't show what the thread was. I need to get in there with a tap and clean the rust out before anything

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
WFM member has a complete set of 400 weights for sale. GJ helped me out with some photos in that post. I am putting starter weights and double notch cast weights on rimguard filled tires on 332 ... Loader tractor..

·
Registered
770 Posts
Kevin,
Have a care when running a clean out tap through the holes for the weights. The holes for the weights are tapped 1/2-13 (1/2" course thread) but the holes for the wheel studs are 1/2-20 (1/2" fine thread). It would goof things up to accidentally tap one of the wheel studs to a course thread. It's also fairly easy to clock the wheel off a notch and try to put a stud in the weight hole-especially when wrestling filled tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to hear about your JD 400

All of the above posters gave you good information. Follow their instructions.

If all else fails; let me add my 2 cents. I have had about that same problem on 2 original engine JD 400's. I started diagnosing the problem; and on one engine it would run fine after it cooled down for a while; but as soon as I worked the tractor mowing, it would act up again. The other one would not start at all; after it backfired and shut off.

I checked the fuel system; but I just felt it was ignition related.

Remember, the initial problem showed itself, differently in the 2 tractors the but fix was the same.

Jumping ahead: The ignition coil was the fix for both engines.

Ignition coil problems are sometimes engine temperature related; but not always. It is pretty easy to wire up another coil and give it a try.

winky

21 - 30 of 30 Posts