Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1980 400 with a 60" mower deck and model 50 snow thrower. I wanted to upgrade and found a 1990 420. It has a 60" mower deck but no snow blower/thrower. I want to put the 400 snow thrower on the 420. I have seen pictures of model 50 snow throwers for the 420, but I'm guessing they were modified to fit. Should I not even make an attempt and buy the attachment made for the 420? Are there instructions or procedures for this modification?

I did tack weld some brackets with a rod and was able to mount the snow thrower to the 420. However, the PTO shaft is approximately 1.5 inches too short. Is there a PTO shaft part number or specification for this application? The other concern I have is the hydraulic oil is different in both. As you probably already know, the 400 has red Type F fluid and the 420 is different. Can or should these be mixed if I were to move the attachment from one to the other?

Any suggestions, hints or feedback is encouraged.

Best regards,

Scott

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Both tractors can use either atf or hygard. Mixing them isn't a great idea. It's a good idea to do a fluid change in any new tractor. After mounting the blower might be a good time

·
Registered
101 Posts
Deere offers red dye for Hygard. Can it be distinguished from ATF?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I can't imagine the few ounces of ATF mixing with the Low Vis would be an issue. How about running Low Vis in the 400 and all would be right with the world?

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
even with a fluid change there will still be some of the other fluid left inside unless you flush it out which involves a more work

I just drain and replace, no issue on my tractors so far

Reactions: Brian Barber

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Yes 2 cups doesn't really matter unless it has water in it. My comment was more focused on there is a 1-2 year 200 hour recommended fluid swap. Very few sellers have fresh fluid in a tractor or attachment.

·
Registered
101 Posts
adds up

Yes 2 cups doesn't really matter unless it has water in it. My comment was more focused on there is a 1-2 year 200 hour recommended fluid swap. Very few sellers have fresh fluid in a tractor or attachment.
There is only one place to add fluid that I know of. Which means all the hydraulics and the transmission share fluid. If you add up the volume of all of the cylinders, hyd. motors, hoses, and tubing for the various attachments you connect it adds up to quite a lot. As cylinders stroke fluid gets mixed. Some of us may be replacing only half of the total. All the more reason to follow the recommendations I would think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts