Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came upon this in NJ while shopping. A little to rough for me.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No price, intrested in Cub Cadet trades or cash offer.
FB Market Place.
Not sure if its appropriate to post a link here. Its easy to find. Glen Gardner, NJ.

Reactions: army

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will make a good restoration thread

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
I wouldn't be able to find my own butt if my shop looked like that. Tractor is scruffy but the hoe and bucket are prizes well worth refurbishing. A few 400 guys here are likely beseeching their spouses to let them go get it. Just once more they'll be saying. It'll be the last JD I buy. I promise. They'll also claim they'll sell something else once they get the backhoe home, which is total horseshit of course (I've used that one many times). Unfortunately, as willing as I am, I can't participate. I'm in Ontario and can't cross the border to go get it and I don't have any room for it anyway.

Came upon this in NJ while shopping. A little to rough for me. View attachment 268384

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Army, That looks like a Brantly hoe and 40"? bucket going by the Brantly type undercarriage subframe. What do you think? David

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yup pretty rough. Looks like my garage! Ha! From the strap and block holding up the bucket id guess non running but who knows,.. I have one running backhoe and that’s enough for me, but is tempting,…

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Army, That looks like a Brantly hoe and 40"? bucket going by the Brantly type undercarriage subframe. What do you think? David
Sure looks like a Brantly loader doesn't it. The cross brace in the pic looks like it's not bolted to the top of the upright and is just laying there. Mine had a 48" bucket and it also had the rear braces cut off. Had a PTO pump on the front but bucket work was still pretty slow.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Eyeball comparing, I'd say it's a 40" front bucket. The cyl mount pads are right out to the side edge of bucket. The 48" bucket pads are in from side about 4" from left and right sides. Brantly offered 40,48 and 60" . The hoe bucket appears to be 16",like my 400 w/ 48" FEL. Often wished I bought an 8" bucket, also. The stabilizers are one version of Brantly, look to be held upright and together. My other Brantly has the 40" FEL. I replaced the original worn Brantly supplied pump (NLA) with the closest output that would fit on the 400.
The slightly larger output means I dig just above idle at 1400-1600 RPM. Otherwise functions are too quick, powerful and throws the 400 and me around.
Army, What/ where are the rear braces you mentioned, please? David

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
For the right price that could be quite the haul. I too am guilty of even trying to figure out a way to get it with out the other half even knowing just to avoid the inevitable tension between us, which that alone can cause tension lol.

• Haha
Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Army, What/ where are the rear braces you mentioned, please? David
The back braces go from the bottom of the uprights back to the 3 point hitch mounts. Problem with that is you can't have the 3 point arms on at the same time as the loader. Mine were cut off and I wanted to use the 3 point too so I didn't replace them. Didn't seem to affect the loader at all.

He wants $3500 for it.
For that, I'm out.
I'd likely pay it if it was in Ontario.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
In that condition I have to say it is a bit steep on the price. $1500 fell, $1500 Hoe! $500 tractor. Any one notice the hose under the tractor dribbling blood? The front loader has been braced and welded up and does not look pretty and the hoe has some places where it has been beat up as well. This leads me to believe the tractor has been abused just the same. I’d happily pay $2k if the tractor runs.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I saw the hose leaking in front, but I don't see a hose attached to the top of the bucket cylinder! Something is not right with the fender deck either...sitting too high. I'd be interested for $1k not running and $1.5K running if everything looked... kinda... OK! I'm on the low side, but who knows what else is wrong... hoses, pins & bushings, engine, hydro, pump! I can easily see putting close to $2K into it just to get it operational, never mind dependable. Bob

·
Registered
75 Posts
You gentlemen seem to be a brave lot, going that high in dollars. Everywhere I look I see neglect and abuse. Lots of rust on the hydraulic pistons. I knew someone who kept adding hydraulic fluid to a skid steer that leaked because "the hose is too expensive". Another acquaintance said rebuilding the hydraulic cylinder on a towmotor was similarly pricey and oil was cheap by comparison. If you are not in that camp, I think a lot of parts will be needed to get this back to tip top condition.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Did anyone notice the strap holding the hoe up?
That strap looks like it may be holding the loader up also.
Sorry to say, I've seen better tractors in a local scrap yard.

Reactions: mopar65pa
1 - 20 of 35 Posts