Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Did anyone notice the strap holding the hoe up?
That strap looks like it may be holding the loader up also.
Sorry to say, I've seen better tractors in a local scrap yard.
Look at the right side lift cylinder on the loader, there's a wood block holding it up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd suggest the reason you see straps, blocks and such holding things up..... Simply means it easier to move around a none running machine with said crutches so to speak. Yeap she's beat up, but her bones appear to be in good condition.

That said its a garden tractor, smaller and more desirable than a larger machine for many. John Deere 44 or 44 FEL's go for $2500.00. What do you think a backhoe is worth if you actually could find one? A dead 400 is likely worth $500.00 in many areas where 400 series tractors are hard to come by... In any event; its worth what its worth to a buyer with a want, need or desire, try and place a value on that. Me thinks said value is all about perspective, context, imagination, foresight and maybe the enduring desire to fix things. I find these kind of projects, good therapy so to speak. I relax and kinda turn off what's going on around me and enjoy the time I spend man handling, planning and executing changes. I have many hobbies, the therapy thing plays thru all of them!

If it were near me, I'd make an offer, $3K starting price doesn't seem an unreasonable place to start IMO. I don't need it, or really want it. But I see the value and like projects. My cavalier attitude is well established, I have a large gaggle of JD garden tractors and ancillary equipment, most need TLC.

Michael

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
This is a great example of the vintage JD garden tractor game we all play. What is it? What condition is it in and how much work does it need? How hard is it to get parts? How much do they want for it? How much is it actually worth. How much is it worth to us personally? How rare is it? Does it have collector value? And so on.. I've guessed wrong a bunch of times over the years. Had a few wins too though. I have no idea what the dollar value would be for the fun factor in this hobby. I just know I've really enjoyed myself.

Prices are higher here in Ontario. Generally about 25% or so. Just the loader in that condition would be at least $1,500 and more likely $2,000 around here. I've never seen a hoe for a 400 sized tractor for sale in my neck of the woods though and I'm no spring chicken. Some guys are looking at it in a practical sense. Cost vs capabilities and working condition. I totally get that but the collector value is a factor too. How much that actually adds to the asking price is an intangible but I know a few guys who'd love to have that hoe attachment, incl me. I have a 3 acre playground so I could live out my days digging holes with the hoe and filling them in with the bucket. Another factor is nostalgia, but not just for that particular machine. There's guys who operated hoes quite a bit in the past and just want a small one to play with.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, It is certainly a project!

Someone who wants to have a display, with an unusual attachment; would have their spare leisure hours taken up by this one.

winky

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would buy it because the backhoe is the Holy Grail of attachments - and it's all there. Same with the FEL. Those two alone could be refurbished and sold to pay for a new rig!

If you want to see a restoration of the identical rig: REFURB: JD-400 with backhoe / front loader

Mine looked like lawn art when I bought it - but it ran, the implements worked and everything was there. I'm refinishing the rear wheels and mounting new tires this weekend.

I've been working it like a $5 horse.....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Stephen the set up you have is in way better condition hands down no ifs and or buts about it. Runs, looks better, has not been abused etc. No comparrison between what you have and what is being talked about in this thread. Yours looks fabulous. Enjoy it.

Reactions: jd_joe

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Exactly. So would I. I don't have a big shop just for parking. The juice for me is working on stuff, especially rescuing something like that hoe.

I would buy it because the backhoe is the Holy Grail of attachments -

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Looks like he was getting ready to reposition and hopped off for a photo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you not put your hoe feet down when digging? How much does it moving you around on the tractor.
The hydraulics were starting to seep and outriggers wouldn't hold when the trenching was done on a friends house. I found if the bucket was planted and wheels blocked, it was stable enough to dig. The biggest challenge is to make sure no side-loads are put on the hoe. The PO had abused the poor thing where all the joints were worn or cracked from overworking the rig. If you look at my Refurb thread you will see the complete disassembly and rebuild of the BH.

Like others - I saw it as a rescue mission. It wasn't so far gone it couldn't be resurrected with a lot of labor. I do it as a hobby (and needed the tractor to work on my property) so it was a no-brainer for me to buy. Paid $4,200.

It also looked like lawn art in the guys field. The saving feature was it ran just enough to drive on and off the trailer.

He tossed in a front blade, which had never been mounted and just sat in a pile of junk. It had both lift/angle cylinders, where most only have the lift.

I recently weighed it: 1,780 lbs wet.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I look at it this way. If you had spent that money on a cruise what would you have to show for it now? Other than pics I mean, most of which could be acquired using Google Earth. There'd be memories of the trip too of course but my recollection is so crummy now I'd likely only recall the hours and hours of waiting to get on the stupid boat.

Like others - I saw it as a rescue mission. It wasn't so far gone it couldn't be resurrected with a lot of labor. I do it as a hobby (and needed the tractor to work on my property) so it was a no-brainer for me to buy. Paid $4,200.

Reactions: N2 Tractors
21 - 33 of 33 Posts