Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone . I picked up a few 420's the end of last year and I'm getting ready to re-power one of them with the HF 22 Hp Predator . I searched the forums for a post on this , with no luck . I'm sure it's been done though . Can anyone point me in the right direction to pick up the parts for the install ? From what I've read these engines are well worth the money. Definitely gonna go with the electric fuel pump . I also saw on a YouTube video an digital hour / RPM meter . Anyone know where I can get one of those ? Has anyone made a conversion kit for these engines yet ? If so , please contact me . Any help is greatly appreciated .
Thanks much
Anthony

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am guessing you could take the 318 Predator thread to begin with.

There might be more space for the muffler up front than in the 318.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Robert , thanks , I will look that thread up . Honestly , the main thing I need is the adapter sleeve for the output shaft . 1" to 1-7/16 for the pto . I have found them readily available , just trying to find one a little less expensive than $50.00 . If anyone knows a supplier that may have that correct adapter sleeve I would greatly appreciate the contact information .
Anthony

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link shady . I read the entire post . I will definitely be buying the predator for the 420 repower . Alot of good information there . I think I'll be making all the adapters for the repower myself . Seriously considering making a muffler for these predator repowers and selling them , seems there is a real need for them here . I have been searching for a coupon for the predator , but all of them I have seen are ruling out the predators . Does anyone know where I can find a usable coupon code for HF that will work for the predator ? If so please let me know . I will start a post on the repower when I get the engine . I actually have 3 420's , 2 of which need engines . If the first one goes well I think I'll use the same engine on the second one . Been holding off for a few years now to see about the reliability of them , from what I've read they seem to be pretty good , especially for the price .

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Shady for the last year every coupon I have seen excludes a bunch of their items including Predator engines and equipment. My local store will honor them but they take the 25% off the list price not the current selling price which is usually more. In this case you have to read all the fine print. Roger

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've only bought them on line. The closest store to me is a little over a hour and a half away. You are right about the fine print. On line I enter the coupon number and it either accepts it or tells me it is not valid. Takes 10-15 seconds while I'm sitting down, I either place the order, look for another coupon, or whatever.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that's the same thingi I've been running into with the coupons . It's $699.00 right now at my local store , I should just pry open my wallet and buy the thing but I can't help myself ..lol .. I just keep looking for that magic ( no exclusion ) coupon code ... If I don't find one by spring I'll just go ahead a put up the $ .. btw shady .. I live in Maryland , to bad we're not closer , I would be glad to show you some ins and outs of welding ... I gotta say , I hope I'm still able tinker with my machines when I get to your age ... I like that your still at it .. my hats off to you sir .

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have to admit being old is no where as much fun as getting old was but I still like to have fun. I can't bend so spend a bit of time trying to hook things on the ground so I can pull them into reach. I still can drive without glasses but have trouble seeing the puddle when welding. Can't hear well enough to carry on a conversation with people that don't know me. So please make your mufflers quiet.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Jason the 22s were $639 at the Loves Park IL store about a week ago. If you were going to use a CC to buy it on line you can also use it at the store and you have no shipping costs. I am not sure if you would pay state taxes or not where you live but here in WI I would have to. Roger

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey buck , I haven't started the predator repower yet , been to busy with other projects and working alot . I will update this post when I start the install . Hopefully in the next few weeks . It's definitely going to happen , I just gotta find the time . Back soon .
Best ,
Anthony

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been checking HF coupons for years. They always exclude the predator engines. I think your best deal will either be the coupons in your email or a parking lot sale.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jason, I am in Maryland myself where abouts are you? I a currently getting ready to tackle this repower in my 318. Maybe we can bounce some info off each other?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jason, I am in Maryland myself where abouts are you? I a currently getting ready to tackle this repower in my 318. Maybe we can bounce some info off each other?
Hey reddawn , I live in Abingdon , harford county , 21009 . I think getting together on these repowers would be a good idea .. Let me know where your located and maybe we can meet up sometime . I actually have 3 420'S , 1 needs a repower , I have an excellent original onan to go back in 1 of them , but I'm thinking about selling it and repowering both of them with new engines . The 3rd one has a new onan in it with under 300 hrs . I would like to use the Honda's , but they're so expensive compared to the predators ya know ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey reddawn , I live in Abingdon , harford county , 21009 . I think getting together on these repowers would be a good idea .. Let me know where your located and maybe we can meet up sometime . I actually have 3 420'S , 1 needs a repower , I have an excellent original onan to go back in 1 of them , but I'm thinking about selling it and repowering both of them with new engines . The 3rd one has a new onan in it with under 300 hrs . I would like to use the Honda's , but they're so expensive compared to the predators ya know ?
I love in Southern Maryland 20619 abou 2 hours south of you. I have heard such grea things about the predators and the price is right. i have a buddy who did the van guard swap on his and loves it but that is a little steep for my pockets

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought one of the predators online last year and the coupon showed that they weren't eligible for the discount, but I got the discount anyway. I don't know if it was a glitch in the system or what. They only charged $6 for shipping also.

Jason

1 - 20 of 28 Posts